Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittant lifter noise/Transfer Case Question

Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
First off 5w-20 is WAY to thin for these engines, you will have that thing sludged up inside of 6 months.
There is to much heat inside the heads and valley pan and that oil will break down in no time.

2nd, the rocker arms on a DII have a tin "cap" inside the cup and that cap comes loose, it wont fall out but it comes loose and then rattles around in there and makes one hell of a racket.

Its not rattling exactly, its more like a tick. Does a loose rocker arm shaft make the same sound as a lifter noise?

I bought some 5W40 Rotella, but someone told me they put this in diesel trucks, is this safe for the motor?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

When you replaced the lifters, were they new, did you inspect the cam lobes for wear, did you inspect and measure the push rods for wear on either end, did you remove the rocker shaft and inspect each arm as well as the shaft for wear?
Get your oil up to a 5 or 10W/30 or 40, you are running way to light.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
just a thought for you, I too had "tick troubles" and recently replaced the rocker shafts, push rods and rocker arms.they didn't " look" all that bad, but remember we're only talking thousands of an inch between noisy and quiet. sounds like a different engine now.
and after taking apart the original shafts there was a lot of crud built up inside them, even though I had done an engine flush or two.

If the noise doesn't go away after the oil change, i think that's what i'm going to do.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Forgot to mention the 1777 code you found. Has you t/case been acting up? It sure doesn't need replacement.
I have never seen this code come up before after a long time i the business, it reads,"Gearbox ignition Retard request line fault". I am going to chase this one down today and see what it is about.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Forgot to mention the 1777 code you found. Has you t/case been acting up? It sure doesn't need replacement.
I have never seen this code come up before after a long time i the business, it reads,"Gearbox ignition Retard request line fault". I am going to chase this one down today and see what it is about.

I had just recently bought it with a blown motor. I have been driving it for a couple days and all i know is the differential makes noise when i press on the gas, probably a clearance issue and the 4x4 shifter is locked in high gear.

The anti-lock brake light is on along with the check engine light. When i try and clear the code, the anti-lock brake light flashes and then stays on. The code (Check Engine) will come back right away on next start up. I appreciate the help.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Three Wheeling

I took a quick video with the motor running..I changed the oil, decided to go with the Mobile 1 5w40. I also used the M1-301 filter. Its still making the noise, but on and off.

http://kandkengines.blogspot.com/

Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Administrator

If you want to send me your number, I would be glad to call you and walk you thru this stuff.
In the mean time, go check your front drive shaft, if it only has 1 grease fitting, instead of the 3 it should have, then you need to get it rebuilt ASAP, cause if they fail, you can expect to buy a tranny also.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you want to send me your number, I would be glad to call you and walk you thru this stuff.
In the mean time, go check your front drive shaft, if it only has 1 grease fitting, instead of the 3 it should have, then you need to get it rebuilt ASAP, cause if they fail, you can expect to buy a tranny also.

There are 3 grease fittings. 1 on each U joint and 1 on the drive shaft itself.

I posted the pics here, they are a bit bigger..http://kandkengines.blogspot.com/

Last edited by SpdDemon426; 11-09-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

You have a DI, so your drive shafts are fine.
As for the ABS, open the hood, find the fuse box, remove the ABS pump fuse, close hood, problem solved.

As for the driveline noises, these trucks are FULL TIME 4X4, and being as such they will be noisier than a part time 4x4.
Change the gear lubes, both diffs and the t-case take gear lube, use 85w-140 for quieter operation.

It's not the rocker shaft that I am talking about, it is the rocker arm itself.
And yes, it sounds like a noisy lifter.

And remember, in the most basic of terms the "0" is the actual thickness of the oil, the "W" stands for winter use (ok to use in cold weather) and the "20" is the amount of protection it gives.
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
So a 5w-40 and a 10w-40 are supposed to give the same amount of protection but the 5w- will pump faster when cold but thin more when hot.

Last edited by Spike555; 11-09-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpdDemon426
Its not rattling exactly, its more like a tick. Does a loose rocker arm shaft make the same sound as a lifter noise?

I bought some 5W40 Rotella, but someone told me they put this in diesel trucks, is this safe for the motor?
The Rotella is excellent oil for these gas engines. Read the ratings on the back it is rated for both diesel and gas engines. It is better than any mobil 1 (for our purposes) save for the 15w-50 and the 5w-40 (also a turbo diesel oil).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittant lifter noise/Transfer Case Question