Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent 3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Intermittent 3 Amigos

I have an intermittent case of the 3 amigos. This has been going on for about 4 days. I tried to read the codes but apparently my reader is not able to read them. I do NOT have squeaking brakes. I do get a squeaking noise once in a while when driving at slow speeds. It does not squeak when the brakes are applied. I started 3-4 weeks before the 3 Amigos appeared. I did check the brakes today and the rotors do have some small rough groves on them. The pads have plenty of life in them. I did a flush of the brake fluid about 8,000 miles ago. When I tried a panic stop on some loose dirt and dry pavement I did NOT getting any pulsing from the ABS. When I did this it was one of the times when 3 Amigos lights were on. Did not think about turning the ignition off to reset the lights and try again until just now when I writing this. I also get a little wobble between 35-40 MPH. Also about 4 months ago during an off road trek, after a long downhill descent the ABS light stayed on for about 15 minutes before it finally shut off. Not sure if this might have been the start of the problem or not. The ABS worked fine later that same trip.

I have a 2000 DII with 98,000 miles.

What are my options? Do I need to get it to a shop when the lights are on to read the codes? Could it be the shuttle valve and I need a repair kit? Hubs? New rotors and brakes? ABS sensors? Any other suggestions?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:00 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you may have a bad hub. Are any of your wheels loose, kind of some play when of the ground when pulled straight out? You should be able to read them with your scanner but not clear them. For instance my code was 1590, from a bad front hub. Replaced it and it is OK now but the dealer had to clear the code.

Either that or your abs module is going or the control valve is on the fritz or the sensor is bad.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

1590 is not the actual ABS fault, it is a rough road/ABS fault which will go away only after repairing whatever the actual problem is.
Actual codes can only be read by a scanner that has the software to be able to read the ABS faults.
Could be a hub, warped rotor or brake caliper dragging which is causing the squeak that can trigger the 3 Amigos.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
1590 is not the actual ABS fault, it is a rough road/ABS fault which will go away only after repairing whatever the actual problem is.
Actual codes can only be read by a scanner that has the software to be able to read the ABS faults.
Could be a hub, warped rotor or brake caliper dragging which is causing the squeak that can trigger the 3 Amigos.
Got it thx, the 1590 cannot be cleared by a regular scanner. Going to LR dealer today anyhow to see what their computers tell me.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am voting bad hub, let us knoiw what you find out and before any repairs are made.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't waste your $100 plus on their labor, they will over charge you on their estimate for repairs.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Drifting

I jacked up the front end last night to see if I could detect any play in the front hubs and I can’t feel anything move. My brakes don’t make noise. Do you still think that it still could be a hub? If so, do I need to replace both hubs? Is there anything else I should do before I go and spend $400 for a hub? I read a bunch of old postings last night that talked about cleaning the ABS sensor or Shuttle Valve repair. Are any of these worth pursuing?

Thanks
Big g
2000 DII, 98,000

Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM
TReK

If you can't detect play pulling the tire straight out towards you then your hubs are probably fine. It would be a pretty obvious thing so you are probably fine. In any case you would just replace the bad one.

You could try repairing and cleaning the shuttle valve, the kit is only like $50 or something. Also could be your front steering stabilizer (or whatever it is called) is bad that causes the front end shake. Also could be a bad abs sensor check the wires, connections etc.

Work from the cheapest easiest fix on up.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Drifting

Finally got my erro codes read.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Drifting

Finally got my error codes read.
022: ECU Gnd or Reference Gnd bad
114: Shuttle valve electric failure

Any suggestion on where to look for the grounds. For the shuttle valve, can I get by with the shuttle valve repair kit from AB?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Intermittent 3 Amigos