Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are intermittent ABS codes stored?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are intermittent ABS codes stored?

I've had some intermittent three amigos issues and found a local shop with a Snap-On computing system. Based on our phone conversation, the mechanic is certain that it will interface with my Disco.

That being said, since my lights are intermittent, will there be any codes stored that can be pulled?

I'm thinking that since the lights reset each time I start the truck there may not be anything at all.

Just trying to save money and time.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Are intermittent ABS codes stored?

Codes can only be read when the trio is on.
Are your brakes squeaking?? If you throw a panic stop, on a loose surface from 30 MPH, do you feel your brakes pulsate thru the brake pedal?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Codes can only be read when the trio is on.
Are your brakes squeaking?? If you throw a panic stop, on a loose surface from 30 MPH, do you feel your brakes pulsate thru the brake pedal?
Thanks for the response, Mike.

Here's a thread that I started about it last night.

I did a search for the tres amigos but none of them seemed to be intermittent problems, only locked in issues.

Anyway, just this evening when I shifted from drive to reverse, I got my first 3 amigos. I started the car back up and the lights were cleared.

Later, as I was backing out of my driveway to turn the car around, it happened again. I turned the Rover off then back on and the problem cleared.

It only happened when shifted from Drive to Reverse on both occasions with my foot on the brake.

Weather:rainy and cold....might be important.

A month ago, I posted about a similar issue that happened twice...the M + S lamps flashed under the same conditions (shifting gears while stopped and the weather was cold and rainy).

The M + S problem hasn't cropped up since, but now I get the Amigos twice in one night.

Do I have something simple that might be weather related or is anything I should be looking at to see if I have something more serious going on?

Edit: brakes and rotors changed last Spring at 49k if that's helpful. No squeaks."

Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

While testing the ABS on the way home from work I got the Amigos again. I guess it's safe to say that it's not limited to when I'm just shifting gears anymore.

Anyway, with the 3 amigos still on I accelerated and hit the brakes again. As the roads are nice and wet, I had no problem getting them to try to lock up.

The brakes pulsated as one would expect which isa huge relief.

I'm assuming now that the problem is with the wheel sensors or wiring. But since the problem's intermittent, how doesn't one go about determing which wheel?

Do I start by cleaning each sensor and checking their harness?

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to get the codes read with a TestBook or similar diagnostic system. It could be an intermittent shuttle valve or ABS sensor. I had the 3 amigos on and off, and then stay on all the time after a few months. It'$ all too common in the D2'$ and a pain in the a$$ fix. Squealing brakes, too much dust can set off the 3 amigos, even with genuine LR pads.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: meltdowndave

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

While testing the ABS on the way home from work I got the Amigos again. I guess it's safe to say that it's not limited to when I'm just shifting gears anymore.

Anyway, with the 3 amigos still on I accelerated and hit the brakes again. As the roads are nice and wet, I had no problem getting them to try to lock up.

The brakes pulsated as one would expect which is a huge relief.

I'm assuming now that the problem is with the wheel sensors or wiring. But since the problem's intermittent, how doesn't one go about determing which wheel?

Do I start by cleaning each sensor and checking their harness?

Thanks.
This is good news and really about as far as you can go. Need to find a shop that can scan your system and will do it on a drive in basis, when the trio is on.
Let us know what they find, any estimate.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Hey, Mike.

Turns out the mechanic with the Snap On Solus can only pull codes from the engine and tranny. So no go on the codes.

However, he did take a look and here's what we found.

1. Driver's frontwheel was very snug. It took some hammering to take it off. My first thought was a bad bearing, but it was just corrosion. He put some anti-seize lube on the hub to make it smoother.

2. Wheel speed sesnor on the driver's front was out of the mounting bracket/loom. Fixed. Sensor has continuity.

3. Lots and lots of mud on the calipers and in the vicinity of the rotor. Despite washing the underbody after every offroad session, it looks like I missed quite a bit. Cleaned up.

4. Wiggling all the wheel speed sensors didn't trip the lights.

Anyway, after this plus a few days of dry weather I haven't gotten the Amigos. I've repeatedly slammed on the brakes, shifted gears quickly, and done every other thing that I think of to trigger it but so far so good. I'm cautiously optimistic that the reason for the intermittent fault was one of the first 3 items above or it would have manifested itself within 30 seconds of leaving the garage. But we'll see.