Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent misfires after head gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Intermittent misfires after head gaskets

I did the head gaskets and since have experienced intermittent misfires. When I had everything torn down, I changed the plug wires since it is such a pain to do them. Today I was driving and kaBOOM! My fan blew up and messed up the fan shrouds and the air filter box and damaged the serpentine belt. Peripheral damage from the exploding fan/fan shroud was one hose blown off the thermostat. I've ordered the serpentine belt and fan and for precaution I've ordered a new thermostat. I was able to put stuff back together enough to get it home (just a few blocks and only drove after it was dead cold.) It does not maintain idle. Any advice is appreciated. I've contacted Paul and Will to see about fan shrouds and air filter box.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

When the fan destroyed the air box, it may have allowed anti-freeze to come in contact with your MAF sensor (mounted in air intake tube)...causing it to go bad. Are you getting any codes...or check engine light?

And, l'm assuming we're talking about two separate issues here, misfires were happening before fan exploded...and bad idle was after. If you had misfires before, get a code reader and see what cylinder is giving you issues. Could be something as simple as a broken porcelain on spark plug.

Did a tune up on a customers car one time, mutiple/random misfires, running like crud, etc...and had just been "tuned up" by her son a few months ago...so "everything should be okay there" (as she put it). Well, after removing all eight plugs...it had four with broken porcelains. It doesn't take much effort to break a plug.

Brian.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The misfires code is for multiple misfires. Happening before fan blew up. After fan blew up, does not maintain idle. No broken plugs.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Man, what terrible luck.

What are the codes? That should help determine what system is misfiring.

In the meantime have you looked at the plugs to see if they are fouled/wet etc.?

Old 08-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado David
The misfires code is for multiple misfires. Happening before fan blew up. After fan blew up, does not maintain idle. No broken plugs.
I guess (for misfires), if everything else is good...I would start with the coil packs and the connections. Then move on to the injectors, if no problem is found with coil packs.

Still leaning towards MAF on idling issue...especially...if you found anti-freeze air box or intake tube.

Brian.