Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent noise from front driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent noise from front driver's side

Ok this one has me vexed. I was driving home this evening on a flat relatively smooth road and heard a sound that at best I can describe as a creaking sound but could also feel it through the floorboard. I started simple and checked my lug nuts and all were tight. A basic inspection of the undercarriage revealed nothing apparently broken. Rocking the vehicle made no noises. Stepping on the brakes did not trigger the sound. I am at a complete loss as to what is going on. I did notice that the torsion rod end and link are making contact with with the plastic fender well piece. Could this be a broken spring, torsion rod or some other suspension component or am I looking at driveline issues?
Any help or ideas of what to look into would be greatly appreciated; I'm at a complete loss with this one.

Last edited by NERover; 06-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Discovery II has an original front drive shaft that has sealed U joints on the double section. They get the grease cooked out by the CATs and then with very little warning split and proceed to slam against the tranny and in many cases are successful in opening the tranny. Rebuild before this happens article in our tech area, or fit aftermarket shaft. Very serious problem, a tranny at the dealer can be $7000.

Attached Thumbnails Intermittent noise from front driver's side-slabrat.jpg   Intermittent noise from front driver's side-xznw5.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Discovery II has an original front drive shaft that has sealed U joints on the double section. They get the grease cooked out by the CATs and then with very little warning split and proceed to slam against the tranny and in many cases are successful in opening the tranny. Rebuild before this happens article in our tech area, or fit aftermarket shaft. Very serious problem, a tranny at the dealer can be $7000.
That would produce this kind of intermittent type of sound?

Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Those who have caught it early (before having their tranny smashed open) have called it a chirp, sqeak, and vibration. It is such a frequent problem that if you scan down our greetings to the new members that have D2s this is usually included as a warning. It is worth looking at. If your truck has locking CDL (not just High/Low) you can remove the shaft and lock the DL, driving on rear wheel drive. Some versions of the D2 are not equipped with locking CDL, but have this spud on the transfer case that can be turned with a 10 mm wrench to lock. That allows you to still drive while shaft is rebuilt. I'll plug in the link to our rebuild article. http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13714679763286

Now this is certainly not the only gemlin, but this one has the ability to make your day turn quite grim when it hits.

Attached Thumbnails Intermittent noise from front driver's side-zjtah.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-17-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What year is your Disco, do you have ACE, is the suspension original? You don't have torsion bars so I am thinking you might mean the front tie rod and if it is rubbing, it could be caused by a wan out tie rod end.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Overlanding

It's a 2000 and it doesn't have the CDL but it's in my drive way for right now and not going anywhere until I sort this out.
Sorry not a torsion bar but the sway bar rather. I'm definitely paranoid about the front prop shaft letting go so I'll be checking that further (it's oem from what I can tell). It's such a weird sound. Is there anything else that this could possibly be that I should be looking for or is this a "for sure" kind of thing

Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

All 2000 had a CDL t/case, are you sure you don't? Could have been replaced under warranty at which time, they did not put CDL cases back in.
As for the drive shaft, just verify that each of the 3 u-joints has a grease fitting, if not, this is your next project.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Just throwing this out there to those who know better than myself. Since it's sounding like it's coming from the Front Driver's Side, could it be a CV Joint on the left front? Do we even have them on this vehicle?

To the OP, does it happen more or less when turning hard?

Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

You might also want to check for a loose front shock. On the Driver's side top shock mount, if it is not tightened well it will make a noise as the shocks slides around in the Shock Tower. I had this issue when I recently replaced my shocks and forgot to torque that one shock.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Overlanding

I'm sorry yes I do have the CDL transfer case just without the linkage to use it from inside the vehicle which is what I thought you were referring to, sorry for the confusion. I'll be getting up on some ramps later today. Hopefully I can sort this out soon. As an aside, the front drive shaft is at the top of my list of things to do once I get this back on the road.

Last edited by NERover; 06-21-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent noise from front driver's side