Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent oil light at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019 | 02:03 PM

Well I’m lost.

Went off-roading 3 weeks ago everything was fine
weekend after that changed oil that Monday drove it to shop to get cdl transfer case installed
3 days later went to pick up truck and they said they can’t start it and it’s in park but rolling I’m like ok
pushed it outside got it towed home
found they messed around with xyz switch. Looses nut pushed lever to park it was in reverse
tighten up started up no issues
connected wiring to new cdl and installed 04 lever
went for a drive oil light comes on
I’m like ok this is weird never had this before
replaced oil pressure switch
light still comes on
bought oil pressure test kit found fittings connected today and 50 psi cold
as it’s warning up it drops drops drops to the point oil light comes on

question is do you think that shop that put in my cdl could have in any way cause anything to now my disco having oil pressure issues ????
This is dammmm messed up

Old 08-03-2019 | 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I highly doubt they did anything to the engine. Here is a simple test to verify the single wire to the oil pressure switch, Disconnect it totally from the oil pressure switch. If the light comes on at all = wire is grounding out somewhere on the engine/body harness. If the light does not come on then that would point to the Oil Pump, Cam Bearings as it only does it once the engine warms up. Oil Pump Gear isn't a bad job, but sometimes it's best to replace the entire front cover. Just depends on the wear. I'd also replace the timing chain while I was in there.

***Or it could be as simple as the Pickup Tube Screen being dirty, or the Pickup Tube O-Ring being bad/split.***

Old 08-03-2019 | 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I highly doubt they did anything to the engine. Here is a simple test to verify the single wire to the oil pressure switch, Disconnect it totally from the oil pressure switch. If the light comes on at all = wire is grounding out somewhere on the engine/body harness. If the light does not come on then that would point to the Oil Pump, Cam Bearings as it only does it once the engine warms up. Oil Pump Gear isn't a bad job, but sometimes it's best to replace the entire front cover. Just depends on the wear. I'd also replace the timing chain while I was in there.

***Or it could be as simple as the Pickup Tube Screen being dirty, or the Pickup Tube O-Ring being bad/split.***

I have verified with a mechanical oil pressure gauge that I do have low oil
I drove it and light is starting to come in more often which I think whatever it is it’s getting worse

I might be looking at a new engine here

Old 08-03-2019 | 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Like I said I'd pull the pan, check the pickup tube screen, pickup tube O-Ring, then if that looks good, put a block of wood up inside the block, loosen the crank bolt, remove harmonic balancer, remove alternator bracket, alternator, drain coolant, belt tensioner, belt, idler pulley, disconnect camshaft sensor, and remove the timing cover to inspect the oil pump/timing cover. You could also inspect the Cam Bearings from below at this time as well. If they look good then you could always try the 99.00 Oil Pump Gears, or a new timing cover.

When you did the oil change did you use a different filter? I use Mobil1 M301, K&N 3001, and the Ford FL1A

Old 08-03-2019 | 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Like I said I'd pull the pan, check the pickup tube screen, pickup tube O-Ring, then if that looks good, put a block of wood up inside the block, loosen the crank bolt, remove harmonic balancer, remove alternator bracket, alternator, drain coolant, belt tensioner, belt, idler pulley, disconnect camshaft sensor, and remove the timing cover to inspect the oil pump/timing cover. You could also inspect the Cam Bearings from below at this time as well. If they look good then you could always try the 99.00 Oil Pump Gears, or a new timing cover.

When you did the oil change did you use a different filter? I use Mobil1 M301, K&N 3001, and the Ford FL1A

Thanks for the tips
I’ve used the Mobil 301 for a long time

I’m so sick of working on this thing with work being busy and my wife’s car needing attention I will probably have a good LR mechanic look at this. I don’t think it’s going to be good

Old 08-03-2019 | 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

No problem at all

Old 08-03-2019 | 09:42 PM

It still bothers me that just after the transfer case install this happen

but can anyone see any reason or any possibly on by then messing with the transfer case had a snow ball effect on the oil pump or bearing ??
It’s just to weird

Old 08-03-2019 | 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

There is no way possible unless they treated it like the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and drove it like they stole it unfortunately.

Last edited by Best4x4; 08-03-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-03-2019 | 10:20 PM

They were rolling in around with the tranny in reverse

Old 08-04-2019 | 09:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Is that your Kijiji ad I saw looking for an engine?

Quick Reply: Intermittent oil light at idle