Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's 420 time once again

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy! maybe the ECU in the end. I assume with the multiple code resets you have tried leaving the battery unplugged for an hour or so? Can't think of anything else but please let us know when you have an answer. You don't seem like the kind of guy to give up!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Smile Update

Okay so I just got back from the LR Indie shop and after hooking up to the T4 and running through a few drive cycles the tech said he couldn't find anything out of the norm except the load percentage was a bit hi. So he checked the fuel pressure next and it was right a 30psi while @ idle and shot to 40psi when reved. So his next thought was to check the Knock sensors. Since the sensors could be retarding the engine timiming just enough to cause an "off" fuel mix but not enough to cause a Lean/Rich Code which would be typical.

He placed it on the lift and checked the connections on the knock sensors first. Low and behold both of the sensor connections were full of water. He turned to me and asked if I was power washing the engine lately. I told him that I generally power wash the engine about every other month or If I'm chasing leaks. So He cleaned and Dio Elec Greased the connectors and reinstalled.

On a side note: I've been cleaning the engine in this manor ever since I've had the Disco. But I've never touched the knock sensors ever. So that water may have been the problem all along.

He stated that the code may come back, so I may need to clear it a few times before the ECU re-maps itself. He did try to flash my ECU when he was all done, but was not resetting. It kept coming back as "failed" reset. He stated may indicate a bad ECU.

In the End, he spent a good 1.5hrs with me, completed a Fuel pressure test, let me climb under the truck while it was on the lift, checked for an Exhaust leak, took it for a test drive for live data input on the T4, and only charged me $50 bucks!

Let me know what you guys think and I'll keep everyone posted on the out come after some drive time this weekend!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Red face Answer to my own Question

I found some info relating to my previous post pertaining to "What Diagnostic Tests will the Disco ECU produce and what does it mean?" the info was on WIKI....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBDII#O...gnal_Protocols

Here's what DI's diagnostic tests 1 thru 5 are:
-----------------------------------------------
Mode $01 is used to identify what Powertrain information is available to the scan tool.

Mode $02 displays Freeze Frame data.

Mode $03 lists the emission-related "confirmed" diagnostic trouble codes stored. It displays exact numeric, 5 digit codes identifying the faults.

Mode $04 is used to clear emission-related diagnostic information. This includes clearing the stored pending/confirmed DTCs and Freeze Frame data.

Mode $05 displays the oxygen sensor monitor screen and the test results gathered about the oxygen sensor.

There are ten numbers available for diagnostics:

$01 Rich-to-Lean O2 sensor threshold voltage
$02 Lean-to-Rich O2 sensor threshold voltage
$03 Low sensor voltage threshold for switch time measurement
$04 High sensor voltage threshold for switch time measurement
$05 Rich-to-Lean switch time in ms
$06 Lean-to Rich switch time in ms
$07 Minimum voltage for test
$08 Maximum voltage for test
$09 Time between voltage transitions in ms

Mode $06 is a Request for On-Board Monitoring Test Results for Continuously and Non-Continuously Monitored System. There are typically a minimum value, a maximum value, and a current value for each non-continuous monitor.

Mode $07 is a Request for emission-related diagnostic trouble codes detected during current or last completed driving cycle. It enables the external test equipment to obtain "pending" diagnostic trouble codes detected during current or last completed driving cycle for emission-related components/systems. This is used by service technicians after a vehicle repair, and after clearing diagnostic information to see test results after a single driving cycle to determine if the repair has fixed the problem.

Mode $08 could enable the off-board test device to control the operation of an on-board system, test, or component.

Mode $09 is used to retrieve vehicle information. Among others, the following information is available:
-VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): Vehicle ID
-CALID (Calibration Identification): ID for the software installed on the ECU
-CVN (Calibration Verification Number): Number used to verify the integrity of the vehicle software. The manufacturer is responsible for determining the method of calculating CVN(s), e.g. using checksum.

Mode $0A is required to store Permanent DTCs as per CARB..
--------------------------------------------------------------

----I hope this helps clarify the ECU tests codes that are produced by a OBDII scanner and interperate what info your seeing.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Understanding the $01 Thing

Here's a few more in depth PID's code "decoding" for OBDII Scanners and Diag. Testing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

This will real make you understand what your reading when you see the "$01" type thing on your scanner.