Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's windy in my Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005 | 05:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: It's windy in my Disco II

That is a scary one, if I did that on my 90 doors they would snap, mind you, they are almost rusted away now and in desperate need of a replacement..

Old 02-17-2005 | 01:28 AM
|
Overlanding

Okay, thanks. This is my weekend project...if it doesn't rain.

--M

Old 02-19-2005 | 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

Mike - I have suffered this same issue with my 2000 Disco II. VERY annoying.
ATTEMPTED FIX #1: I demanded the dealership replace the weatherstripping which they did - no improvement.
One hypothesis: I have noticed the the door fitment of the driver side door in Disco IIs is consistently poor. If you look at the gap between driver side front and rear door, the front door noticeably juts out several millimeters. It's as though the catch of the door is not correct, and it never closes in as deeply as it should.

HELP?!?! Has anyone found a fix? I too am tempted to try the "pull on it hard" fix but it seems a little medieval. Per the catch plate solution... what exactly have people done here... can you describe what you've adjusted?

Old 02-19-2005 | 02:44 PM
|
Overlanding

I haven't had a chance to get "medieval" with the door yet because it's raining here and is supposed to rain all weekend. As soon as there's a break in the weather, I'm going to give it a try.

You're absolutely right about the door. I bought weather stripping and was going to replace the original one, but I noticed that the door didn't close completely to the frame and the others did. So, I took the stripping back.

--M

Old 02-20-2005 | 02:59 AM
Winching

There is A service action on DII which involves inserting A rubber tube into the door seal in an attempt to reduce wind noise. Doesn't really work. You do have to get " medieval " on these moving boxes. They are just not very well aeronautically designed.

Another point, If you push out on the upper window glass while driving and the wind noise increases, this is another indication of poor sealing between the door and the body.

Old 02-20-2005 | 07:05 AM
|
Overlanding

Bait:

I got medieval on the door this afternoon and I'm crossing my fingers because it seems to have worked. I had to drive 30 miles round trip in a windy storm and didn't notice the draught.

Thanks for the sage advice.

--M