Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've read the stickys and alot of member post but have a blunt question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've read the stickys and alot of member post but have a blunt question.

I have owned a 2005 RR hse and loved the vehicle i sold it due to a work relocation to where i was driving to FL regularly from NC for a vehicle better on fuel (audi a4). I have a great daily driver now but do miss having an SUV and miss Land Rovers in general. I've never owned a disco but have always thought they are cool looking. My question is point blank is it worth it to buy a disco i know they have their problems but everything does. For example my fathers tacoma has been in dozens of times for recalls and this is a 2012. I've seen the post on "thing that go wrong" and "what to look out for" but just plain and simple is a disco 2 a good car and worth it to buy as a possible daily driver?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Just realize you are buying a vehicle that is 10 to 15 years old. No telling how many former owners and how they took care of them. Be prepared for a lot of maintenance and becoming an above average mechanic. I have had mine for almost 4 years. It is a 2000 model. Other then a drive shaft, alternator, wheel hub, cats, I have had no real issues.

I will tell you this. After this weekend I was very impressed the way the LR3 adn LR4's did at SCARR. Justin with Lucky8 was doing some video shoots comparing them all. So if you would like something a little newer I would go with the LR3 or LR4. Not as cheap but a good vehicle.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on how you intend to use it, I would suggest that you avoid the 2002 and 2003 model years if you intend to take it off road, due to the lack of the locking center differential. The 2004 has the 4.6 liter engine, but some feel it is more vulnerable to overheating and failure than the 4.0.

As previously mentioned, you are looking at getting into a 10+ year old vehicle. Maintenance will be involved...

Be sure to check for frame rust and overheating...

Not sure I would ever advise one as a daily driver given the cost of gas...

Mine was a daily driver for several years, but it now is the winter assault vehicle and serves to tow the boat and motorcycle trailer... The Volvo 960 (actually a 1996) is my daily driver now...

Old 03-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

oh, my bad.... thought this was a blunt question. but I'll give the daily driver question a shot, anyway. as stated above. get it up to snuff and maintain and good to go. minus a dead battery, mine have never stranded me. but there are plenty of vehicles that require far less tlc.
so, I didn't answer that question either. good luck. not going to get a straight answer.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the most important thing, no matter what vehicle... get to know it, understand how it works, how it breaks, and how to fix it.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Get a 2005 LR3 or newer.
AVOID at all costs a Discovery II.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,485 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Just realize you are buying a vehicle that is 10 to 15 years old. No telling how many former owners and how they took care of them. Be prepared for a lot of maintenance and becoming an above average mechanic. I have had mine for almost 4 years. It is a 2000 model. Other then a drive shaft, alternator, wheel hub, cats, I have had no real issues.

I will tell you this. After this weekend I was very impressed the way the LR3 adn LR4's did at SCARR. Justin with Lucky8 was doing some video shoots comparing them all. So if you would like something a little newer I would go with the LR3 or LR4. Not as cheap but a good vehicle.
I think I noticed that filming going on I have a feeling we met lol

Honestly the DII off road is a extremely compentent vehicle.

I was truly impressed with the LR3 and LR4 the only thing I will say there is both of those trucks take the driver out of the equation quite a bit.

I don't agree with the avoiding the DII completely they are good trucks if maintained and the creature comforts are definitely better than the DI. For asphalt pounding I would certainly give them a look.

All Land Rovers except the Freelander can be great daily drivers if you can stomach the gas money. I DD my 1983 110 and love it.