Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumping tire, jerking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jumping tire, jerking steering wheel

Hi everybody. Been outta town working. Missed the forum.

I have noticed a problem. On two occasions now when driving 40 mph or more, when I apply the break, the front left wheel (I think) seems to jump and the steering wheel jerks in my hand. I also notice that when I hit a bump sometimes the front end seems loose. Like I have to steer out upon landing? I am wondering what I need to look at to tighten this thing up.

In case you don't remember me, it's a 2001 DII with just over 100K. Just bought it a few months ago and have done the 60K/used high miles overhaul.

Thanks everyone. It's good to be back. Bob

Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PS

PS It's is also making a "wha-wha-wha-wha" noise when I am driving 40 + but it tracks straight to the point that I can take my hands off the wheel while driving and it goes straight. I can't tell anything from the tire wear because I believe the tires were rotated right before I bought it. The ones on the back have substancially more wear than the ones on the front.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it may be time for a new steering damper. Old Man Emu makes a good one for the DII. You can tighten your steering box also.

How old are your brakes? How are the rotors? Did you do a full quart bleed when you did the 60k service? Also jack up your front end and pull out on tires and see if there is any play in your hub assembly/bearings

Edit: saw your second post: could be your hub but also check those u joints on your front driveshaft also if you have not had it rebuilt yet. Also make sure your front tires are balanced properly. I got rid of my front end problems with a combination of new suspension/steering damper/new tires/new hub.

Last edited by lipadj46; 08-31-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Grab a 14mm & 17mm socket, and get underneath the front end and check every suspension related bolt for tightness. You should not be able to tighten any of them. If you find any of em loose enough to put an 8th of a turn on, then they were too loose. It's likely that a few of the bolts will be that loose. Drive the vehicle afterwards, and you'll likely feel the difference. If that doesn't do the trick then on to #2.

2)Have the front tires checked to make sure one of the radial belts hasn't snapped. Then have them checked for balance. While at the shop, have them check your front shocks. If that doesn't solve the problem, then onto #3.

3) Check the swivel pin preload & adjust if necessary. edit: (Disregard #3)

4) Make the steering dampener your last check. The dampener alone won't be the culprit of the condition you explain, but a new one might mask the real problem. So you don't want to replace a dampener until AFTER you've gotten to the real problem. All the dampener is doing is dampening abrupt forces on the steering (like hitting a pothole or rut). The "above 40mph jitters" are NOT the fault of a bad dampener.

Last edited by Suede; 08-31-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go to a tire store, have the tires inspected balanced and rotated if necessary, then drive and see what it is doing. Yes a steering stabilizer is probably in order but find what is causing the problem first.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede
3) Check the swivel pin preload & adjust if necessary.
This is a DII, I thought you cannot adjust the swivel pin preload like on a DI (with the shims)? I know for a DII if there is play you just loosen the lock nut on steering box adjuster and tighten adjuster until movement is removed at u-joint.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
This is a DII, I thought you cannot adjust the swivel pin preload like on a DI (with the shims)? I know for a DII if there is play you just loosen the lock nut on steering box adjuster and tighten adjuster until movement is removed at u-joint.
You are correct.