Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junkyard Deals

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 01:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Junkyard Deals

Hi all!

Interested to hear what people think the best parts to get at a junkyard are, and what they would NEVER take off an old rig. What's your best personal find, or personal horror story?

Cheers!

P.S. You can guess what I'm doing this weekend...

'04 Disco Epsom Green

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (06-29-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

CDL linkage and transfer case for sure. Differentials. 03-04 headlights in decent shape, with harnesses. Bumpers without cracks (good luck). Factory floor mats are nice to have around. Front differentials. Engine bay fuse box. Intake box lid if it isn't broken at all. Lug nuts if they're in good shape. That's the stuff I would grab.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
CDL linkage and transfer case for sure. Differentials. 03-04 headlights in decent shape, with harnesses. Bumpers without cracks (good luck). Factory floor mats are nice to have around. Front differentials. Engine bay fuse box. Intake box lid if it isn't broken at all. Lug nuts if they're in good shape. That's the stuff I would grab.

MAF (just the sensor), IAC, clips to hold down battery lid, clip to hold coolant reservoir, rear corner upper bumper trim, CDL if an 04, dash bezel, misc interior trim (if needed), center caps, P38 150amp alternator, a/c fan belt guard, and window motors, and heated seat switches & panel.

03-04 headlights look so nice, but every set I've eve seen fog up inside/out (water wise), and also UV wise. Look crappy to me so I prefer the 94-02 look myself. Not to mention the H7 bulb is known to burn out quickly vs the good old 9003/H4. I pass up 03-04 lights all the time. Just not worth it to me.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Also those caps that go at the corner of the rain gutter trim. Also A pillar trims inner and outer as well. Especially inners if its high trim line so you can toss aftermarket tweeters in there (assuming you have aftermarket stereo).

Old 06-14-2017, 02:43 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never messed with getting the outer A pillar trim off before. How difficult is it?

Old 06-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Grip and rip lol

You only have to be careful with the clips holding the trim on. Those likely get ruined anyway, but if you can salvage 1-2 of them, its a win

Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I got a CDL linkage and cable out of '04 last weekend along with 10 lug nuts in decent shape for just under $40. One of the bolts that holds the cable bracket on the t-case was rusted in place so I have to order a new bracket so hopefully that is cheap.

Earlier that week I also scored a rear cargo cover for $8 and got a pair of D1 rear spring seats along with more rear spring pads to add to the front springs to do a budget lift to hold me over till I can afford the OME stuff I want to get. Also got a crack free rear bumper, gas cap and window motor for $90.

Last edited by Alex J; 06-14-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 850 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew White
Hi all!

Interested to hear what people think the best parts to get at a junkyard are, and what they would NEVER take off an old rig. What's your best personal find, or personal horror story?

Cheers!

P.S. You can guess what I'm doing this weekend...

'04 Disco Epsom Green
It's not clear whether the '04 Disco Epsom Green is what you have or what's at the boneyard. If you have an '04 you clearly don't need the transfer case shifter and linkage but if it's there grab it because others here would like to buy it from you.

Beyond that others have offered good input but here are a few things I've snagged.
  • XYZ switch - Last time I checked they were over $600 new. The used one may not be in great shape but you can disassemble and recondition the one from the donor truck and either use it as a spare or install it for peace of mind.
  • If your truck is pre-'03 and want to enable CDL grab the SLABS. Heck, even if you have an '04 grab the SLABS and sell it.
  • If you have a '99-'02 and may be installing a winch bumper grab the grille from an '03-'04.

Last edited by mln01; 06-29-2017 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew White
Never messed with getting the outer A pillar trim off before. How difficult is it?
If you grip and rip you'll wind up with an A pillar no better than the one you're looking to replace. Same thing holds true to the drip moulding above the A pillar. I part these trucks out for a living and removing an A pillar with the hopes of reusing it is not easy task.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
If you grip and rip you'll wind up with an A pillar no better than the one you're looking to replace. Same thing holds true to the drip moulding above the A pillar. I part these trucks out for a living and removing an A pillar with the hopes of reusing it is not easy task.
Preach, brother. I've yet to get one off unbroken successfully. Not that I've removed a ton of them, but still.

Quick Reply: Junkyard Deals