Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Junkyard score

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I swear that 04 with the ARB drove into the pick n pull!! It was perfectly intact, all 5 tires, still had personal possessions inside of it. Dunno what the deal was, but the complete 04 CDL was only 18.00 with every single part. SLABS Unit with a date code of 06 was 20.00. I’m 99% sure it had a set of OME coil springs, but I had no way of pulling those. The only item I could tell was missing was a warn winch as I found the controller in a rear cargo storage unit with the manual.

I’ve never come across one like that again sadly... I grabbed misc stuff off of it for probably a month until one day she was crushed n gone. Engine looked well taken care of & someone ruined it when they pulled the front cover and apparently had no clue what they were doing as nearly every front cover bolt was snapped off... The TC was never taken, but it was picked over.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

I've been itching to goto a yard around here but..

Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench

Hmm.. Found a yard near me that has ONE 2002.. For $2 to go check it out, i'm gonna do it.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Hmm.. Found a yard near me that has ONE 2002.. For $2 to go check it out, i'm gonna do it.
Your pocketbook will love you

Old 06-15-2018, 03:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, that was fun.

Silver w/black 02' that had been fairly picked clean. Engine was still there, front diff was gone and all the wheels. No obvious crash damage or anything so i'm assuming engine problems. I grabbed the pigtails for the switches in the bezel along with the taillights which were in perfect condition for.. $29.

I am happy!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:25 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, that was fun.

Silver w/black 02' that had been fairly picked clean. Engine was still there, front diff was gone and all the wheels. No obvious crash damage or anything so i'm assuming engine problems. I grabbed the pigtails for the switches in the bezel along with the taillights which were in perfect condition for.. $29.

I am happy!

Do they have a price sheet? I'm curious what your prices are compared to mine.

When you can grab a complete engine for under $300 and a trans for under $100...its a very good day. I've rebuilt whole cars for less than people spend on a couple new parts.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, that was fun.

I am happy!
Oh, and another thing.

Never assume engine or trans problems. People bring cars to the upullit for the lousy $300. I've watched countless people drive cars to the yard just to get rid of it from sitting in their driveway.

And yet another...
Copart is where the cars go that are in floods or accident that the insurance companies total. I've seen many cars in the yard that didnt get sold .

Sometimes, I take a battery or borrow one, some starting fluid, and I try to start them.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Pro Wrench

I have the receipt in the car, i'll grab it tomorrow for you. I think the pig tails were $1.99 each, bought 5 so thats $10 which leaves about $10 for each tail light?

Old 06-16-2018, 01:35 AM
Pro Wrench

I have the receipt in the car, i'll grab it tomorrow for you. I think the pig tails were $1.99 each, bought 5 so thats $10 which leaves about $10 for each tail light?

Makes sense. I was going to match prices.

Couple tips.

1. Always carry hand cleaner in your trunk.

2. Always take more tools than you need. You may not want to carry them around, so leave the bigger stuff in the car and just walk around with a tool bag with your basic tools. If you need more or special tools, go back out to the car and get them.

3. Dont damage or throw parts around. I've been to the yard, taken parts off only to go back 2weeks later to find a part I've taken off before...only to find it on the ground smashed. I always take my parts off and put them in the trunk, it may help me, or it may help the next guy.

4. Dont let your tools be borrowed. People may not have a tool they need and they ask you for one, then they run to another row, take the part off with your tool and leave with it. I've pissed off a guy that was working on a car 6 cars away from me and he asked to borrow a vice grip to which I said "no" I dont lend out my tools.

5. Learn what the "part price" consists of. At our yard out here, a door, coats $35. That includes everything BUT the hinges. People will buy the window motor, the door panel and the switches and pay the same damn price or more. Just buy the door and go.

6. Always "look" at the engine etc. For instance, the truck I found my bumper on had just gone through a head gasket job. This can sometimes net you some new parts.

7. Always look for things to sell. Alot of times I'll find change which I take and save for my admission fee the next time I go and I look for things on the cars that I might be able to sell to someone cheap but it helps pay back for the time and parts I bought.

When I was at low parts of my life I would buy EVERYTHING from the upullits. The cheaper prices really got me out of some major rough spots due to lack of money. Belts, brake pads, even plugs and an air filter. I dont go to that extreme anymore but It taught me somethings.

I'm sure I'll think of other things, if anyone has some tips...feel free to post your ideas!

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Made a pullapart run today. Scored a D2 air intake tube from the airbox to fender.

Got the plastic windshield cowl off of a D1 for $14 that I had to modify the old cracked D2 cowl and combine the two to make work.

The D2 at the Birmingham salvage yard has a new AC compressor, just FYI. It also has an ignition lock with key in it.

Last edited by No Doubt; 06-23-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Junkyard score