Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an 04 Disco2 and my head gasket pops just weeks later. :( HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

You will destroy any rover motor you buy new or used the same way you killed this one

Old 07-23-2019, 04:28 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Not really fair there redwhitekat... My factory replacement 4.6 never overheated and I owned it the entire time yet it still developed a cracked block after about 140k miles... I did not kill it. Nor did I kill the engine it replaced... Which was the one it came with, replaced under warranty due to the front cover dowel pin issue. Developed a tick shortly after I took it home from the dealer.

A cracked block is not necessarily the fault of the owner.

But yes, get yourself a way to monitor your temps in real time. Ultragauge is great.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
You see what I said here. This is all your doing I don’t care of the circumstances
first thing after buying one of these you need a ultraguage period.
Bit of a foolish assumption, sir. Furthermore a gauge would have done NOTHING to prevent this. Do tell me how a "ultraguage" would have prevented this.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
You will destroy any rover motor you buy new or used the same way you killed this one

I guess you're in a bad mood today, that's ok. It happens.

Now, judging by the actual information and not guessing, it's clear by the oil that doesn't smell burnt, the cylinders that are not damaged and by the HeadGasket that didn't even fail, that this motor was NOT over-heated by me.

Instead, the block finally failed one way or another and when it did it CAUSED the coolant system to see hot combustion gasses and thus read high. I tried to explain earlier to you that a block doesn't overheat in 15 seconds flat, I suspected I was reading combustion temps in the system and not water.
No reason to get bent out of shape and go on a rant, especially when you're incorrect.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Not really fair there redwhitekat... My factory replacement 4.6 never overheated and I owned it the entire time yet it still developed a cracked block after about 140k miles... I did not kill it. Nor did I kill the engine it replaced... Which was the one it came with, replaced under warranty due to the front cover dowel pin issue. Developed a tick shortly after I took it home from the dealer.

A cracked block is not necessarily the fault of the owner.

But yes, get yourself a way to monitor your temps in real time. Ultragauge is great.

Beat me to it, I don't know the original ownership of this vehicle either way. We don't know if it's even cracked, it could have the very common 2004 block that had pinholes in the casting that eventually corrode away, due to Dexcool issues or whatever is causing it. A good way to monitor temps is great no doubt and the moment I drove it home I tried to sync it with both my real time BT gauges to no avail. Not like that would have helped me in this case anyway. The overheat is the result of the failure, not the other way around in this case.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:34 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Find yourself a P38 4.6 as mentioned and use your block testing skills on it before installation. Then you'll know.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Find yourself a P38 4.6 as mentioned and use your block testing skills on it before installation. Then you'll know.

That might very well be the plan though I sure would love to be an LS swap candidate.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
^ Brilliant idea and ironic. I just did this a slightly different way but same concept a few minutes ago. I filled the block with hot tap water. I used a few heat guns in multiple cylinders in the block, after 10 minutes this got the block warm to the touch but even the sleeves were evenly heated, never hot, just warm. I used some tiny copper tubing, and put a torch to it with a 5 gallon bucket of hose water on the other end, this sucked the water up the tube and put it into the block in a slow controlled manner as the tube is only 1/8". I continued this water which was steaming hot letting it mix with the hot tap water. It took about 30 minutes to finally become a hot engine. When this happened, I put my air nozzle to it and held my finger with gloves on and a piece of scrap rubber over the other hole and boom, bubbles formed around one side of the sleeve in cylinder #5 only.

So, if you're going to do a leak test in the block HEAT THE BLOCK or it will possibly pass the test with a false positive.

So sad my engine is F#$%#KED. I guess now I have to decide, used engine, Turner short block, LS1 swap if ACE get's it done sometime this late summer as they expect to.

What is the going rate for a used but working '03 '04 motor? I will likely pull the block out and heat it and press the sleeves out, I'm curious to know what kind of failure occurred.

Many thanks to all who contributed, hopefully others who come across this will be able to better pinpoint their issues.

-Greg
Brilliant process! sorry about the outcome but at least you know definitively. I have see the used 4.6's going for $500-800 on ebay. Now you have the process for testing them down.

To the rest of you saying he will destroy it without and ultragauge - bugger off.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (07-24-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Just seems weird that the op still relys on the temp gauge and claims to do a ton of research but buys a motor with a tick
i don’t know maybe just me but I think the op reading this forum could have been better prepared

Old 07-23-2019, 06:08 PM

The real winner here is the seller that sold this to the op
sounds like the seller did all the research and sold it as soon as he heard the tick. Hey maybe the seller is on here

Quick Reply: Just bought an 04 Disco2 and my head gasket pops just weeks later. :( HELP!!!!!!