Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an 04 Disco2 and my head gasket pops just weeks later. :( HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Brilliant process! sorry about the outcome but at least you know definitively. I have see the used 4.6's going for $500-800 on ebay. Now you have the process for testing them down.

To the rest of you saying he will destroy it without and ultragauge - bugger off.
Thank ya sir! I kinda had to chuckle as I thought up the process haha! You know, I am glad I'm not putting HG back on it and finding out it was a total waste of time and money! Like you fellas said, I've a good way to test them now that's quick and easy so long as I keep the pieces I used.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Just seems weird that the op still relys on the temp gauge and claims to do a ton of research but buys a motor with a tick
i don’t know maybe just me but I think the op reading this forum could have been better prepared
Ok bud......

The temp gauge had NOTHING to do with this failure, still without your warm advice, the moment I drove it home I tried to sync BOTH of my BT ODBII gauges to it as I first stated because I personally prefer to have live customized data at all times when possible. That is to say I use software that is MUCH more thorough than your "ultraguage"....... sorry that wasn't enough effort for you, will you ever forgive me?

The motor had a tick, which is fine, many do, lifters often tick my Jeep 4.0 did it for..... 200k miles and still runs. FURTHERMORE, since you seem to fancy yourself an expert, wouldn't you be aware that the 2004 model 4.6 doesn't suffer from slipped liners as previous years do due to a change in the landing of the sleeves to the block? Give it up buddy.

Maybe it's just me but I think you are the ONLY person I've seen on this whole thread with an attitude and a deep desire to prove you're right about something that, you're not right about.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM
Rock Crawling

The real winner here is the seller that sold this to the op
sounds like the seller did all the research and sold it as soon as he heard the tick. Hey maybe the seller is on here
Actually, he felt terribly bad and offered me CASH no question asked when I politely asked who did the HG work prior as he asked why I was inquiring. I found that to be over the top and I'm impressed with him but I refused the offer, he had no idea. We tested on site the coolant with a chem test for combustion gases, there was none at that time.

AGAIN, the tick is NOT from a liner, as the 04 motor can not drop sleeves, so maybe you're just reaching for that straw?

As others have requested, bugger off.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:29 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Actually, he felt terribly bad and offered me CASH no question asked when I politely asked who did the HG work prior as he asked why I was inquiring. I found that to be over the top and I'm impressed with him but I refused the offer, he had no idea. We tested on site the coolant with a chem test for combustion gases, there was none at that time.

AGAIN, the tick is NOT from a liner, as the 04 motor can not drop sleeves, so maybe you're just reaching for that straw?

As others have requested, bugger off.

I had a 04 and it did drop a sleeve so they do
than I had a Atlantic British new block

Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

You see what I said here. This is all your doing I don’t care of the circumstances
first thing after buying one of these you need a ultraguage period.

Never had an ultra gauge in mine never had a problem.

Being serious you might want to consider decaf you seem to be on a bit of a tear against this guy.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Rock Crawling

I had a 04 and it did drop a sleeve so they do
than I had a Atlantic British new block
Ok bud, if you look at the block design you'll see why its impossible for my sleeves to drop unless some extreme situation happens like, maybe when you overheated your block using your "ultraguage"? Who knows You're just arguing with yourself now. I'm not sure what has made you so very angry in this thread. Not a single person except you has been anything but kind and very helpful.

Please note below, the finger points to the lip that holds the bottom of the sleeve so it can not drop on later models of the LR 4.6 V8. I believe this to be 03-04 years but I am not sure of that information, perhaps it's 02 as well.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-23-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 PM

I’m not angry or have anything against you
when new people come to this board and ask about buying or things to look for everyone here agrees that it’s
way of monitoring temps
front drive shaft rebuild or new
8mm wires plugs etc
coils
cps sensor
are one of the most basic maintenance items you should do ASAP

Old 07-23-2019, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling

That's all good advice.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Never had an ultra gauge in mine never had a problem.

Being serious you might want to consider decaf you seem to be on a bit of a tear against this guy.

Your a perfect candidate for a new block

Old 07-23-2019, 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Your a perfect candidate for a new block
You know there's a $5 dollar app (in fact there's even a free version) that does MORE than ultragauge and does it better right?

It's called "Torque", been using it for about a decade now.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 04 Disco2 and my head gasket pops just weeks later. :( HELP!!!!!!