Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Just bought a disco 2, doing a head gasket job, etc (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/just-bought-disco-2-doing-head-gasket-job-etc-76130/)

drowssap 10-30-2015 08:06 AM

great

rtonder 10-30-2015 08:12 AM

As posted earlier, the valve cover bolts are two different lengths (two different numbers), they are "patched" or have lock tite on them to keep from turning loose. The torque settings are very critical, as you go through stages that 1) bring it up to snug with the brass bushings within the gasket and then 2) squeeze the bushing just a bit to put the right amount of compression on the rubber. Never enough to strip the threads. All covered in RAVE.

Maa45069 10-30-2015 08:21 AM

Bro congrats on the rig! I suggest you find a tech that has more experience... Even as an employee at a dealership you are not benefiting from working there at all except the bumper. That was a success. I you could have purchased a ton of tools and done it yourself in the same amount of time or found a more experienced tech that would have caused you less problems and probably finished the job in half the time. Just a suggestion though. I am really happy for you. I own 11cars and nothing excited me like the Land Rover except another Land Rover lol.... Actually that a lie I love my m939

lordmorpheus 10-30-2015 12:47 PM

You use two of each part number per valve cover. 2 short and 2 long. The long ones go on the outside (header side) and the short ones on the inside (intake side).

rtonder 10-30-2015 03:47 PM

Overall, your costs seem a bit high, but it is unfair to say so without knowing more. Note there is a story regarding a feed dealer and a rancher who was pushing him for lower prices. The feed dealer indicated that good clean oats are worth his fair price, but if the rancher was satisfied with oats that had already been run through the horse, they could be had for less. That said, the true value will be in how well it performs when all is done.

adamwest21 10-30-2015 03:53 PM

True story sir! Well put. The tech is an older guy, first Land Rover but somewhat familiar with European cars. He's slow, but meticulous. Should be done tomorrow...

adamwest21 10-30-2015 06:28 PM

So tech got it running about an hour ago. Sounded good for a few mins and then a misfire. Says it needs a coil pack, misfire on number 8, anyone heard this before? Thanks for my newb questions, I've been with Honda 9 years and don't know a whole lot outside Honda walls.

coors 10-30-2015 09:46 PM

Swap the coil packs. See if the misfire follows the coil. I highly doubt it's a bad cool pack, you would see more misfires.

Clear the code and fire the engine back up, let it run for a bit.