Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just a few things for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a few things for you guys

My tail lights have some cracking in them, and are collecting water. This is causing a black film for show up and my lights are now very discolored.
First off, how do I remove them? Is it a simple unscrew them or are there things I need to worry about and keep an eye on.
Second, Can I drill some small holes in them(near the base) to allow them to drain? or do you think this will cause more problems.

Next question. When looking at the pictures of the G4 editions of the DII, I see a lot of front bumpers that look almost stock but have a winch bracket almost built into the center of the front bumper. Is there a company that makes these, or do I need to find a shop that will build one?

Thanks guys, so far the bill for parts needed to fix my little lady is around $1500.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

My tail lights leaked and too. All you have to do is unscrew the screws (I think there's 4 on each side) and turn the bulbs out on the back side. Then just tip them back and forth until they're empty. I used a clear, two part epoxy that I got at walmart for like $3 or something like that and unless you are really close, you can't even tell. I mixed it up and then dabbed it across the crack with a toothpick. It ended up making about a 1/8 inch bead and sealed them up really well. They haven't leaked for about 6 months now. Just make sure you look over the entire surface of the lens including the seam on the edge where it is attached to the black plastic back of the light. If you don't get ALL the cracks they will leak again. Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Oh, and also, I think that you may be better off SEALING the lenses back up instead of drilling drains in them because the connections don't take moisture too well and where I live the road salt in the winter would probably totally ruin them in a very short period of time. I also put a little dab of dielectric grease on each of the bulb bases and inside the sockets just to keep whatever left over moisture that may be in there off the connections. They did have a little condensation in them for a few days after putting them back on the truck but went away after that and never came back.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bsnapp818
.........look almost stock but have a winch bracket almost built into the center of the front bumper. Is there a company that makes these, or do I need to find a shop that will build one?
You talking about this?

These are both discontinued and hard to find, check with The Rover Barn* - Home I just got a winch tray/A-bar like the one below from him last week, should be at my doorstep today.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever heard of anyone having a winch receiver being made to look like the G4? It doesn't seem like it should be the difficult. possible it could be expensive tho..

The Super Gaz 1.6" lift on Atlantic British is only $499 for the next few days. Worth it? or should I just go Terrafirma?

BTW lights are cleaned out, and they actually look like tail lights instead of being all blacked out. Also decided to get rid of the soccer-mom mud flaps finally

Old 08-30-2011, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bsnapp818
Have you ever heard of anyone having a winch receiver being made to look like the G4? It doesn't seem like it should be the difficult. possible it could be expensive tho..
I've seen a similar one made before for a DI. If you have access CAD and a good metal shop it wouldn't be that difficult or expensive. If you have a shop fab one up from scratch it will get $$$.