Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished replacing head gaskets...2 codes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Just finished replacing head gaskets...2 codes.

Hi everyone. I just finished replacing the head gaskets tonight. I was real happy when she started on the first try. She revved really high at first, but gradually came down. I assumed it was burning through all the crap I sprayed.

So anyway, I now have 2 codes...PO123 and P1884. The Service Engine Light, TC, Downhill Descent, and M and S lights are all on. The M and S lights flash along with the "D" on the dash showing I am in Drive. I searched for the codes but the P1884 code was always showing with other codes that I don't have.

I should mention that it is a new battery. Also, the ground post on the back of the alternator is really loose and the wire broke off. I have it soldered back on for now. Could that be causing the problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by humroot; 01-02-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default if the truck is in park but the dash says your in d ... then your lia\nkage is loose

if the truck is in park but the dash says your in d ... then your linkage is loose or u need a new xyz

Old 01-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That combination of lights indicated an automatic transmission fault of some kind - I just glanced through the manual last night and remembered reading about that combination of M and S mode lights on/flashing.

I put my money on something being unplugged.

How long did it take you? Did you change/replace anything else? Good job getting it finished - I'm starting to do some research on this and hoping to schedule a weekend for it when the weather gets a little nicer.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by EstorilM
That combination of lights indicated an automatic transmission fault of some kind - I just glanced through the manual last night and remembered reading about that combination of M and S mode lights on/flashing.

I put my money on something being unplugged.

How long did it take you? Did you change/replace anything else? Good job getting it finished - I'm starting to do some research on this and hoping to schedule a weekend for it when the weather gets a little nicer.
Man, right you are! I forgot to plug in the TPS. I had a buddy over who was helping me put together the finishing touches. So between the help and the beers we must have missed it. I plugged it in and cleared the codes and now she is perfect! Thanks!

The job took me about 3 days. One to remove the heads, one to have the heads machined and one to put it back together. The hardest part is tearing it down. It was the first time I had an engine down that far and it was a little overwhelming looking in the engine bay with half the engine gone and seeing wires and crap all over the place. Once I got comfotable with the mess in there it was pretty easy. I am going to post about my experience and some of the tools you will need before you start the job. If you decide to do it, let me know if you need any help!

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow, it runs with the tps off, didnt think that was possible.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
wow, it runs with the tps off, didnt think that was possible.
Me either, but it does. It actually runs pretty well except for the low idle and christmas lights flashing!