Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back from getting three amigo codes read

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got back from getting three amigo codes read

Hey everyone,

A quick thanks to all the contributors to this forum. This is my first post as I have been able to search for and find the answers to all the problems that I have had so far. I can't find any info on this specific amigos related problem though. I bought my 2001 DII with 108K for $2500 in pretty good shape except it need new "sparks and plugs" according to the PO. After replacing the plugs, wires, rebuilding the front driveshaft (U-Joints were crumbling), fixing cruise control, replacing front pads and rotors with good ones from AB, performing Mike's 60K and installing heated seat switches I only have one major issue left. The Amigos. I saw some paperwork that the PO gave me that said the ABS module and right front speed sensor were the reason the lights were on. I used Josh's fix for the modulator and the lights were still on as expected so I went to the dealership today as they are the only ones I can find in town who have the equipment to read the codes. I told the service manager that I wanted to know the exact code numbers. He came back with the following codes: 4040, 4064, 4084. I can't find these in any other post or in the RAVE but he said the right front speed sensor needed replacement and they would do it for an additional $500 on top of the $100 to read the codes. I declined. My question is do I need to order a speed sensor from AB or rover connection for $120 shipped and put it in myself or is there a way to clean the sensor? I don't want to clean it and then have to go drop $100 to have the dealer tell me the codes didn't clear. Oh, the brakes have never squealed and there is not a ton of brake dust. The ABS pulsates as it should after I completed Josh's fix. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with the new sensors is that they need to be soldered directly onto the circuit board as the original connectors have been found to fail miserably. You can buy a used old style sensor from ebay or you may even need a new hub. You cannot really clean a sensor as they are electro-magnetic pickups of sorts.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Overlanding

Thanks lipadj46, I am decent and soldering and have some electrical engineer friends who are much better than I am, is this soldering doable at all? What about cutting the wires from the old sensor up in the engine bay somewhere and splicing them to the new sensor wires? I know this might not make the rover techs happy but I can't think of why it wouldn't work the same if you did a good job and waterproofed everything. Is there a way to tell if I do need a new hub? I didn't notice any excessive play when I was replacing the rotors but I guess I wasn't really looking either. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you can splice them up to the old connector, the soldering is doable too.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:36 AM
5th Gear

may not be related to your issues BUT,

i have had strange codes and strange things happening to my LR3. I checked and retightened the ground connection on the battery terminal and the vehicle and so far everything is working perfectly with no faults. worth checking before being chasing those codes.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by kallgrer
Thanks lipadj46, I am decent and soldering and have some electrical engineer friends who are much better than I am, is this soldering doable at all? What about cutting the wires from the old sensor up in the engine bay somewhere and splicing them to the new sensor wires? I know this might not make the rover techs happy but I can't think of why it wouldn't work the same if you did a good job and waterproofed everything. Is there a way to tell if I do need a new hub? I didn't notice any excessive play when I was replacing the rotors but I guess I wasn't really looking either. Thanks again.
If you want some help, send me your number and I'll call you.