Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever

Santa's kids got Santa an Ultra-Gauge for Christmas - absolutely love it. Recently installed an oil pressure gauge and now with the Ultra-Gauge, I feel like I have the info I need to keep my D2 running and also when to not run it. Outside temp about 40 F, coolant temp averages about 204 deg. F - in town traffic and 50 mph max. From reading earlier posts, that seems to be in the middle of what people are seeing on their gauges. I'm going to do some cross-checking with an infrared temp reader. Remarkable what you can get with American ingenuity and Chinese manufacturing. The documentation was obviously written in US, haven't seen a single spelling or grammar error yet. I use my D2 for towing a 4000 # boat so knowing fuel consumption at speed as well as coolant temperature will be terrific.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ultra guage is great. My temps are usually between 198-204 with ambient air temps 80-90 right now.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Default mount

How did you mount the gauge?

Old 12-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Gauge

So far, using the suction mount at the lower left of the windshield (above the fog light switches). Easy to fiddle with while parked (of course). I am looking forward to using all eight pages of info. Who doesn't want to know trim levels at a moments notice?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have had mine for almost 3,000 miles now, and I still love it.
My truck runs right at a constant 195.8*F going down the road no matter the outside temp.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a fantastic gauge but SWMBO calls it the panic gauge as I am constantly looking at it for the temp and it she can now see how good the MPG is. For peace of mind its worth it as I tow a 3500lbs trailer fully laiden

Old 12-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I mounted mine on the coin tray with the 3M double sided tape and the bracket. I don't like exposed wires or things on the windshield, so this was the best bet. The wire is even more hidden now than in this picture as well, and is still a good angle to read everything. If you plan on using the button on back a lot to reset the fuel usage, etc, this might not be easiest as the bracket is really a pain to lock and unlock the gauge from. Use BOTH hand to press on the top to unclip it. I already broke that piece off totally (but still holds fine). BTW, the coin tray still operates 100% with this on there (you just press below the unit to have it slide and and out, not on the unit)
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTAzLTAwMTE0LmpwZw.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  108.6 KB

Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Nothing like watching the MPG go down to 6-8 on any uphill. Going to run a few tanks before I calibrate the ave MPG but so far it looks about 1 MPG to high (14.6 current). I like that the codes warning or you can set temp warnings so your not always watching it.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Snafu / Disco Fries;289321]I mounted mine on the coin tray with the 3M double sided tape and the bracket. I don't like exposed wires or things on the windshield, so this was the best bet. The wire is even more hidden now than in this picture as well, and is still a good angle to read everything. If you plan on using the button on back a lot to reset the fuel usage, etc, this might not be easiest as the bracket is really a pain to lock and unlock the gauge from. Use BOTH hand to press on the top to unclip it. I already broke that piece off totally (but still holds fine). BTW, the coin tray still operates 100% with this on there (you just press below the unit to have it slide and and out, not on the unit)

put mine on the bottom left of the windscreen. Wires run between the door and the side of the dash then through the lower fuse box and connects to the OBD port keeping evey thing out of the way

Attached Thumbnails Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever-imag0300.jpg  
Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an app called "torque" from the android market and I get all of the same info provided from this device I believe. You do have to buy a bluetooth adapter obdII. But I got that on ebay for less than $20 with shipping and all. I like not having any wires to hide, oh, and it couples as a scan tool also, it can clear the check engine light like the other tools. It gives you the fuel levels, o2 sensor info, fuel trim info, all around, its really neat for really cheap, I paid $5 or $6 for the app itself. Just wanted to share, happy new year to all

The following users liked this post:
andres3v (10-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever