Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIA OBD PORT...Now found KIA

W/out alot of undue circumstance, I found my missing port. It was loose up, under/behind the lower panel above the pedals...I guess there's a collar or bezel that holds it in place, that is definitely gone.

So, I plug the Ultra Gauge into the port, and WaLaa...it starts "scanning"...and scanning and scanning and well, scanning...ten min's later, I give-up and plug it into the Toy and WaLaa, it starts scanning and continues for a couple of min's, then the display goes on w/every conceivable piece of info...the gauge works! but the Disco's OBD PORT appears to be KIA.
Never had this happen b4! If anyone has any insight on this issue, I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed my u-g two days ago. plugged it in with the ignition on (engine off). it started scanning, about 5 seconds, pulled up the ultra-gauge logo em1.0, obdII 9141, and started discovering gauges with a little progress bar.

then set engine size and gas tank size (i set it to 25gal, is that right?)

to get the rebate code i had to make it run the factory test. it didnt do that automatically. coolant fluctuates between 197-203 depending on if im sitting in traffic or highway (still 75*F here in FL february.)

i know i should change the coolant every so often, but im scared of leaving air in the line somewhere. it runs great right now so i dont wanna mess up a good thing. if it aint broke dont fix it you know? im all for good maintenance though, so whats the process for flushing the coolant correctly? thx

Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

discotheque:

The PITA of purging air is more than offset by better cooling system health. See pix of what old coolant can do.... It is a mistake to not maintain by a schedule, if you wait until it's broke, you'll be broke, too. An overheated engine can be head gaskets, slipped sleeve, .....

Attached Thumbnails Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever-dexcool.jpg   Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever-p1030594.jpg   Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever-p1030596.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM
4wd Low

I hooked up my new Ultra Gauge to my 98 Disco and it seems to be off by a factor of 100. It says my MPG is in the 900 range and my horsepower is rarely above 0.7. Is there some calibration step I missed?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by myquealer
I hooked up my new Ultra Gauge to my 98 Disco and it seems to be off by a factor of 100. It says my MPG is in the 900 range and my horsepower is rarely above 0.7. Is there some calibration step I missed?
Mine is the same way, my average MPG is 1226.x lol.
Just move the decimal 2 spaces to the left in your head.
I dont worry about it, and yes, there is a calibration you can do, it is in the owners manual.
It is something like drive to the expressway, nose even with a mile marker, hit the calibrate button, drive until even with the very next mile marker, hit calibration button again.
Thats alot of work just to move a decimal point.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by onewingman
So, I plug the Ultra Gauge into the port, and WaLaa...it starts "scanning"...and scanning and scanning and well, scanning...ten min's later, I give-up and plug it into the Toy and WaLaa, it starts scanning and continues for a couple of min's, then the display goes on w/every conceivable piece of info...the gauge works! but the Disco's OBD PORT appears to be KIA.
Never had this happen b4! If anyone has any insight on this issue, I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks
Onewingman, did you get that sorted out? I just got an ultragauge and thought my plug was dead. Started the rover and then it started pulling all the info. Just wondering if it is indeed a dead plug or if you just didn't turn the key far enough?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know i should change the coolant every so often, but im scared of leaving air in the line somewhere. it runs great right now so i dont wanna mess up a good thing. if it aint broke dont fix it you know? im all for good maintenance though, so whats the process for flushing the coolant correctly? thx[/QUOTE]

discotheque if you carefully follow the rave then its all good. I'm down in FL at the moment and just changed my stat. Like you i was worried about doing it but if you follow this procedure you will be fine:

Rave:1-4 had nothing to do with bleeding

Release top hose from retaining lugs on the fan
cowl, leaving the hose to rest on the lugs.

Remove bleed screw from top hose.

l
'A' From 03 MY

l
'B' Up to 03 MY

Unclip the bleed hose from the battery box.

Remove expansion tank from its mounting
bracket. Slowly fill the expansion tank with
coolant, approx. 4 litres (7 pt).

Raise the expansion tank approx. 20 cm (8 in)
vertically, coolant will drain into the system.

Refill the coolant expansion tank until a steady
flow of coolant is emitted from the bleed hole.

Fit the bleed screw then, with the expansion
tank still raised, continue filling the system until
the coolant level reaches the base of the
expansion tank filler neck.

Fit expansion tank filler cap, fit the expansion
tank to its mountings and clip the bleed hose to
the battery box.

Refit the top hose into its lugs on the fan cowl.

Start and run engine until normal operating
temperature is reached, and check for leaks.

Switch off engine and allow to cool.

Check for leaks and top-up coolant to cold level

mark on expansion tank

before doing it mine would sit at 203 according to the UG. After doing the flush then mine now sits at 195.8 doing 65mph on the highway

Attached Thumbnails Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever-imag0713.jpg  
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Mudding

Hey, King, Yeah, I tried it in the off, the accessory and run positions...the OBD port is KIA...see my thread by that name, Savannah left a couple of good posts. I haven't had time to get back 2 it yet...maybe this week...

Old 03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Three Wheeling

If you hear water running in the dash you have air in it anyway. We replaced the head gasket and hoses and refilled with coolant. Purged for a month, did all the antics, and suggestions, to get the air out.

In the end we installed the gauge and now I am glued to it like a fat kid on a ho-ho. Drove four hours to Wenatchee last weekend for a hockey tourney and the gauge only went over 200 degrees twice).

So,, we live with air in the lines, check fluids often, and look for leaks in my garage

Quick Reply: Just installed Ultra-Gauge - Best present ever