Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
As a mountain climber and back packer who often tramps across the US, I can completely understand this. I do like to hear some peoples explanations though because I don't even know the words to express my passion for my land rover
I guess I'm like you in that I use my Rover to get me to places that I want to climb or hike and get as close in as I can and go as many places as I can. I am unlike some of the folks that have a passion for seeing what their trucks can endure and occasionally destroying them or doing some sort of damage. I have done some of that and it can be crazy fun. But not having a great shop or resources I wish to return home so I can travel again another time. Saying that there are many reasons to drive a Rover and most on here or that do are very passionate about them.

We are considering a road trip from Ky. to Alaska in 2015. Not sure the route we will take yet. But getting the 04 ready is going to take some work and expense. We w
ish we had some other "Rovers" to go with us as an expedition Maybe it will turn into a group thing.who knows ? Going alone leaves us somewhat defenseless.
Enough rambling and dreaming .

Old 08-23-2013, 02:59 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Love almost everything about the Discovery models; unique styling, classic ques, 12 Windows, cargo space, flat top dashboard, comfortable, ace, traction control, cdl locker, ZF transmission, off-road capabilities, room for 7 people, stepped roof, roof rails, the redesigned 2003-2004 front bumper and headlights (smaller and more modern) etc.

I'm big on all things British, so driving around in a uncommon Britishmobile is one way I support the Royal Monarchary! Also I've come to believe in Land Rover as a company, not just for their vehicles but for their efforts in humanitarian events and wildlife conservation. For me Land Rover is more than a car company....

Old 08-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"So. Why do you drive a discovery 2?" Because, in 1963, I bought a new Land Rover IIa; later learned that it was to be called a series Land Rover. I was born and raised in Montana, so used it for hunting/fishing, hiking into the highest mountain lakes, etc., and came to love that vehicle. Remember, it had an all aluminum body, on the four sided steel frame. That was the start of my addiction, so I later bought a new 1966 3 litre Rover sedan, 6 cyl F head engine that ran like a Swiss watch; better than a Mercedes. I bought it from Evil Knievel's Dad, who owned a car dealership. Later, I bought a Rover 2000 sedan, and later still, a 2000TC (twin carburetor). Later still, I bought a Rover 3.5 L. sedan (same as 3 litre 6 cyl., but with our familiar Buick derived all aluminum V8). Eventually, I owned several other 3 litres sedans, many 2000TCs, an antique Rover 75 sedan, a Land Rover series III, another Land Rover series IIa, a 1991 Range Rover Classic, with 3.9 L. engine, and lately, a 2004 Discovery II. That is why I drive a Rover, why I love them, that is my story, and I am sticking to it!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love at first sight,no reason.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I always wanted one, but couldn't afford to give them the love they needed. Until last year. I drive my Disco daily; love how it drives and knowing that I can go anywhere. And to enjoy what my wife refers to as "Disco envy," which is when other guys see the Disco and look longingly at it.

Yes, my wife's prettier and meaner, but this is one bad *** truck.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a 1997 Discovery which I bought new in 1997.
We just sold it 6 months ago.

I was in Boulder CO and saw my discovery on Craigslist with engine problems.
A ha. A project.

Did the head gaskets in the Parking Lot and I have had the Discovery ever since.
Really like it now.

Very smooth vehicle and has class.
Made very very well.
Nothing else compares.

Guys - fill up on GAS now.
If we go to war again - even a few missiles - gas is raised instantly as there is an excuse to do it.
Greed has no bounds.