Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just replaced thermastat-- car now runs hot

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just replaced thermastat-- car now runs hot

So I thought I'd put a new thermistat in my 2000DII, since it still had the original.....I'm NOT a DYI guy, but I thought what the hell.... it was really quite easy to install.... noticed quite a bit of antifreeze came out ...so I topped off with some distilled H2o and antifreeze... with a bottle of water wetter added, also( I put all this in the overflow tank). I went to drive it... and noticed that the temp started creeping past the middle( its NEVER done this), and the fans were running... I immediatly turned around and came home--1 1/2 blocks... shut the car off ... it never got to more than 75% of the top..... but why would my car start to run warm AFTER i changed the thermistat... I connected the hoses to the right places.... should I have done something else?... thanks in advance to my "Newbie"post

Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Three Wheeling

You put the thermostat in backwards. Check the rave to make sure you have the direction correct. The angled side goes to the passenger side.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...n-hoses-52592/

Winching

Did you bleed(or purge of air)the cooling system after you replaced the thermostat? If not you probably have an air pocket in the cooling system which will prevent the coolant from circulating (air compresses, liquid doesn't). It means your coolant pump will be turning but the coolant won't circulate.

Three Wheeling

(Don't ask how I know this)

Old 09-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you need to bleed your cooling system properly or it will over heat.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok... I just checked and placement is correct... but I did not bleed the system... do I do this by opening the plug at the middle of the cooling hoses? Is there a proper way to bleed the system? thanks guys...

Old 09-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

There are several ways to bleed the system, just do a search and you will find what you need. Personally, I take the cap off, raise the coolant tank above the bleed screw, and then loosen the bleed screw and wait for coolant to come out. Tighten the bleed screw, put on the cap and secure the coolant tank. I have to do this a few times before all the air is out.

WARNING: you said your bleed screw is in the middle of your top hose. The new style hoses have it at the junction. BE CAREFUL LOOSENING AND TIGHTENING THAT SCREW! When tightening it, do not tighten too much or it will break and you will be pissed because you have to order it or pick one up at the BMW dealer. LR doesnt sell just the bleed screw.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by humroot
There are several ways to bleed the system, just do a search and you will find what you need. Personally, I take the cap off, raise the coolant tank above the bleed screw, and then loosen the bleed screw and wait for coolant to come out. Tighten the bleed screw, put on the cap and secure the coolant tank. I have to do this a few times before all the air is out.

WARNING: you said your bleed screw is in the middle of your top hose. The new style hoses have it at the junction. BE CAREFUL LOOSENING AND TIGHTENING THAT SCREW! When tightening it, do not tighten too much or it will break and you will be pissed because you have to order it or pick one up at the BMW dealer. LR doesnt sell just the bleed screw.
Do this and do it when the engine is cold. Make sure you see the bubbles come out, you'll know when to retighten when you see a steady stream of coolant coming out the bleed screw. This is why you overheated. You got an air pocket. Any time you mess with the cooling system or replace a hose, makes sure you bleed the air out. It's just easy, cheap insurance.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After you bleedit correctly run it, but not too far. I got a bad t-stat last year that failed to open. If it should heat up after you bleed it, take it out and boil some water and see if it opens. If you need to see how I did it, I posted it a while back so you should be able to find it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I I have had a a bad t/stat that was brand new. To make it more fun it was right after doing headgaskets. Just saying.

Quick Reply: just replaced thermastat-- car now runs hot