Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
gettn ready to buy 2000 lan rov disc 2 95kmls? $4,000.00 kinda fishy??
100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

k fellas um new! 2000 lanrov discovery 2,95k mls only $5,000(kinda fishy??let me know! need info ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k fellas um new! 2000 lanrov discovery 2,95k mls only $5,000(kinda fishy??let me know! need info ??

lady is selling,,,,95k miles 2000 landrover discovery 2,,v8 all wheel drive i think,,,its nice i love the look,,,but did some research reviews,,,,turns up lots of cons,,,,ie stays in shop gas milages is crazy (ok by me tho on gas milage),,,brakes wear excessively,,, ,,,,i think for a 2000 thats pretty low milage,,,tho nice still questionable and shes only asking 5,000.00 or best offer,,,k my question to you guys i need every bit of info i can get personal exp included,,,i really want this but wants and needs are diffrent,,,,is she hiding anything ya think doesnt it seem this way or is my gut feeling wrong,,,im asking you guys cus your all landrover owners,,,i expect opinions but i need info,,,,expert info,,,things to look for,,,lookout for,,,you know what im saying?5,00.00 is not bad at all for 2000 with only 95k miles(somthing fishey,,,i need to know known probs that owners try to sell buyers with probs unknown to buyer common probs that is,,,like for insatnt head gaskits,,,,ill hit you guys back tomorro with pictures,if i can but i need all info i can get cus it does sound like a steal,owner says they bought used and never any major trouble other than regular cosmetic and preventive maint stuff,states kept oil changed reg,,,brakes,,,even tho i felt rotors and does have a lip,,,also told that they are not a fav to be worked on,,,parts? cost of parts,,,i will be useing this vehicle as not a everyday vehicle,,,,since gas is they way it is,,,if i buy it ,,,but i cant ask enough from you guys i need help! info,,,yes i know i should follow gut feeling but ,,,,tell me what you know,,,im sure ill hear good and bad!!!!!! so ! LET ME HAVE IT !
Thanks Maestro in north carolina!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Drifting
Default RE: k fellas um new! 2000 lanrov discovery 2,95k mls only $5,000(kinda fishy??let me know! need info ??

First off, everyone here obviously likes their Rovers otherwise we wouldn't be here. I have had two Discoverys. I had a 96 and now own a 02. I got a too good to be true deals on both and both were very reliable. My 02 currently has over 130K miles and haven't put more than $600 in repairs since I've owned it (which is miraculous).
If you're worried about being able to maintain the vehicle costs, don't buy a Land Rover, they're expensive to fix. Nearly all Discoverys (that I've heard about) have problems with a window regulator, door lock actuator, some sort of electrical short somewhere. ABS light comes on repeatedly, O2 sensor problems. I have been blessed enough to side step many of these.
I love mine and can never trade it in. I've tried but seeing my Rover when I get back from a test drive always makes me keep it.
She may not know what she is selling or know that she is selling a car that is on the fritz. Ask to take it to a mechanic you trust and let him/her work it over before you buy.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: k fellas um new! 2000 lanrov discovery 2,95k mls only $5,000(kinda fishy??let me know! need info ??

I wouldn’t necessarily assume that something’s fishy with the deal because of the price. Price on these things will vary depending on region, time of year, price of gas, etc. Although it’s natural for owners to overvalue their vehicles, that price is a realistic going rate (albeit on the lower end). You might go on ebay and see people looking for closer to 10k for that year and mileage. However, do a “completed listing†search and you’ll get a better idea of what buyers are actually willing to pay.

A couple of possibilities re: why this seller is starting out on the lower side of market values.

1) On any vehicle, you’re typically going to find that a lot of “wear and tear†components are going or gone as you near the 100k mark (brakes, shocks, sensors, radiator, etc., etc.). It may be the case that the seller’s reached that tipping point where a decision needs to be made to either throw a bunch of dough into it, or sell it.

2) The other possibility for the lower asking price may be that she’s buying a new car and attempted to use this as her trade. Because of their reliability reputations, dealers will pay next-to-nothing for Land Rover trade in’s (especially if she’s going to a non-Rover dealership). No joke, most dealers wouldn’t be willing to shell out more than 2-3k for that truck because all they’re going to do is sell it to a wholesaler (who’ll then sell it to a used dealer, who’ll probably have to spend a grand to get it sellable and still make money). Long story short, the seller maysimply be looking to geta grand or two more than what she was offeredas a trade-in.

The only thing I can say about what to be prepared for relates to #1 above. I think you have to assume that the owner made a decision, at some point, to not sink any more money into that truck. So, you may have a laundry list of things to address over you first few months of ownership (some higher priorities than others). As strange as it sounds, if you’re looking at trucks with 85-100k, you sometimes make out better (both in purchase price and repair costs) finding a truck in the 120k range. Chances are, if a truck is in good running condition at 120k, someone’s already addressed a lot of those wear and tear things.

It goes without saying that, in any used purchase, service records are a huge bonus.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the cost of gas skyrocketing these as well as bigger Chevy SUVS ect are hitting an all time low ... Most dealers don't want them they offered my buddy with an 02 suburban with 36K miles $3,000 on a trade for an Envoy (he Owes twice that)
Possibly she was offered something lowball like that and figures $5k is better then $3k

Old 05-26-2007, 02:43 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: this is a reply from k fellas um new about 2000 land rover?

thanxx for many responses guys,,,got a better grip on this rover thing,,,first off id like to say me asking what i did,,,first off i know nothing about landrovers diso 2,,,all i know is i feel in love the min i saw it,,,,long to be with it,,,but had to know the truth from you guys,,,have obtained service maint report for a local land rover dealship by providing the vin and a carfax report...car report brought up clean record except was min fender bender three yrs back jus min fender damage,,other than that carfax recommended it as a good vehicle,,,, service maint report brought up a few things that i guess manufacture needs to correct its called open field service actions and they are code fsa/ b148 bs valve modular cover nas,,, b203 possible ace high pressure pipes could fracture b263 sl abs ecu replacement and b274 throttle cable damage/failure disco 2 v8 pet,,,im told these are what manufactur needs to fix,,,kinda like recall on these ,,,,,claim field services displayed and i think these are locations where vehicle has been takem the codes were b216 and b233 dated dec 18,2000 ,,,,b389 and l901 nov 12 1999,,,l700 nov 10 1999,,,2e6g 5x4q and 8h5c oct 1999..
if anybody knows how to futher explain what these codes mean let me know,,,,like i said i am still intrested in this vehicle,and im still intrested,,,,i have difficulty eve driving to work and seeing the rover sitting these with pollen on it,,,it is definately lovely.

let me know what you guys think,,,,again thanx for the feed back !!!!!!! holla bac maestro north carolina