General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 Discovery 111,000 kms (about 65,000 miles) - ses light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discovery 111,000 kms (about 65,000 miles) - ses light

very new to this and land rovers in general. i got mine from friends who have always had it serviced regularly at the land rover dealership here in vancouver, canada.

the service engine light came on on monday. it came on - blinking - while sitting in heavy traffic. i have not had the codes read as my mechanic is on holidays. i tried some of the things that i've read here to remedy the situation. to no avail.

1 - changed the plugs - all dry and quite black except for one. it was completely white.

2- changed the air filter - it was really dirty - replaced it with a k & n filter.

3 - disconnected the battery to reset everything

since doing what i've done, the car idles better than it ever has since getting it but the light is still there. steady at an idle but as soon as i try to accelerate it shudders continually, feels very under-powered and the light begins to blink. when listen very closely to the engine there is a barely audible rattle that occurs about every 30 seconds. it seems to be loudest on the drivers side where the air intake enter the manifold

the last time the wires had been done was in november 08 - plugs and wires. is it time for new ones? the 3 amigos are also there - have been for about 2 months - but i'm not terribly worried about them as it doesn't affect anything. they came on after i changed a dead battery. and think that might be the reason they've come on.

i know it's hard to say without having the codes but any ideas would be appreciated.