Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter Guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default K&N Filter Guys

How do you guys clean your K&N filter? Do I need to get the special cleaner and the oil?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Dawn dish soap works for cleaning but you need filter oil. Just get the k&n kit, it will last you years

Old 05-22-2017, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Yeah I used to just wash em out in the sink with dawn then re-lube & call it a day. I sure wish they made the dry technology free flow filters for the D2, but AEM, and AFE don't so we're stuck with the K&N.

I've almost grabbed 2 at the junk yard for cheap, but each time either it was cracked or some dummy stepped on it and crushed it... I can always dream lol

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Just cleaned mine yesterday....They don't sell the cleaner separate, you always go through more cleaner than the oil. Just by the k&n cleaning kit.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Honestly, never cleaned it other than blowing it out with the air compressor. Should probably do that.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I don't have a K&N currently but I've seen a big black spray bottle with K&N slapped on it, and I think it's to clean them, so if you have the oil you can give that stuff a try.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't over oil. As an owner of an Audi daily driver, and other German cars in the past, the oil itself can screw up the MAF quickly. Most folks will recommend to go lightly on the oil. Since the Bosch MAF is very similar to Audi, VW, BMW, etc. I'd suspect it could have the same results. If you K&N users experience any weird codes, my first advice would be clean your MAF. I really haven't seen much gains with K&N, even on turbo cars. I personally stick to an oem paper filter once a year.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
Don't over oil. As an owner of an Audi daily driver, and other German cars in the past, the oil itself can screw up the MAF quickly. Most folks will recommend to go lightly on the oil. Since the Bosch MAF is very similar to Audi, VW, BMW, etc. I'd suspect it could have the same results. If you K&N users experience any weird codes, my first advice would be clean your MAF. I really haven't seen much gains with K&N, even on turbo cars. I personally stick to an oem paper filter once a year.
I agree. I just haven't replaced mine yet. The K&N has gotten a bad rap with Land Rover owners. Use the oil to a minimum if you do have one.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:59 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I've tried K&N air filters back in the 90's, don't have anything bad to say about them, but nothing good either. I think the claims about more power are a bunch of hogwash. I've just used paper filters for about the last 20 years. They work well and are cheap with no maintenance like an oil filter has.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:42 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Couple of notes...

After you clean your K&N, drive for about a week and then clean your MAF sensor. No matter how careful you are a little bit of excess oil come off.

Does K&N give you more HP, well yes and it has been validated multiple times using dynos by various companies otherwise K&N could not make that claim.

However...the HP gains are at mostly 2 to 3 hp for a stock engine that the butt dyno would not notice.

For a more tuned engine that requires the additional air flow, I have seen dyno reports from actual people I know that showed about a 10 hp increase with cone K&N over stock panel filter.

Quick Reply: K&N Filter Guys