Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K-Seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike I may be calling you once I start the HG job...

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Over the last month I have talked with 3 different people who have plugged up their radiator, t/stat or heater cores causing new over heat issues. It is like all the other stop leaks, full of silica and other materials, it flows around, find a place to stick to which in turn causes you problems.
Stay away from all stop leaks, the long term issues will break you.
I agree for the most part... I did use it on mine but with plans to replace thermostat and flush cooling system afterwards which is what Im planning today... I just tried it as a stop gap measure to fill any unwanted pinholes..( time is a luxury I don't have often) It really has improved my engine idle but so has unplugging that dang SAI setup... Im still waiting on my ultra gauge but I monitor temperatures often with my infrared thermometer.... K-Seal did stop a gasket leak at my water pump that I also plan to replace in the next few months whether it needs it or not, its cheap and easy fix... anyway.. so far though the K-seal seems to have tided up things a bit mostly just for coolant loss and as I flush out all this orange crap today Ill report back any other findings... Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

There are no stop leaks that improve and idle, unless you were leaking coolant into a cylinder and you should deal with that in the proper way by pulling the heads and looking for a bad gasket, cracked head or block.
As for your SAI, sounds like, by your methods of repair, that you are into throw a bandaid on anything that goes wrong instead of fixing the problem, this is going to cost you in the long run.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
There are no stop leaks that improve and idle, unless you were leaking coolant into a cylinder and you should deal with that in the proper way by pulling the heads and looking for a bad gasket, cracked head or block.
As for your SAI, sounds like, by your methods of repair, that you are into throw a bandaid on anything that goes wrong instead of fixing the problem, this is going to cost you in the long run.
This is all temporary until I can get to my vacation time soon... I get one hr here or there and Im just trying to track things down... there is allot to be done here it is turning out... Ive changed oil 2 times, black oil on first change to mobile 1, ran it about a month now changed to rotella T6 with K&N filter, changing coolant to green stuff today with new thermostat, repaired door regulator passenger side and motor , timing belt, A/Compressor and full system evac and recharge, on the SAI I know how to even out the idle but still trying to pinpoint issue, I may today try to replace that filter inside if I can get to it... so hopefully by end of day all those things will be new and Im not sure the K-Seal had anything to do with idle, Im more suspecting SAI but it did fix a small leak someplace that was leaving a tiny puddle of coolant on power steering pump and by water pump gasket similar location... water pump is next on agenda but not waiting to get the orange out! Ill just do a second flush at that time :-) Sure wish I was retired !

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-Seal

I have a 99 Disco I......
Just had a bad Heater Core....
Talked to a few Land Rover mechanics...They swear by this stuff...they originally suggested Allumaseal? I called around and was told to try K-Seal...Well Happy to report, truck is GREAT. No more leaking core....So far so good. Saved me 8hrs plus 200 in parts.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
This is all temporary until I can get to my vacation time soon... I get one hr here or there and Im just trying to track things down... there is allot to be done here it is turning out... Ive changed oil 2 times, black oil on first change to mobile 1, ran it about a month now changed to rotella T6 with K&N filter, changing coolant to green stuff today with new thermostat, repaired door regulator passenger side and motor , timing belt, A/Compressor and full system evac and recharge, on the SAI I know how to even out the idle but still trying to pinpoint issue, I may today try to replace that filter inside if I can get to it... so hopefully by end of day all those things will be new and Im not sure the K-Seal had anything to do with idle, Im more suspecting SAI but it did fix a small leak someplace that was leaving a tiny puddle of coolant on power steering pump and by water pump gasket similar location... water pump is next on agenda but not waiting to get the orange out! Ill just do a second flush at that time :-) Sure wish I was retired !
No, this is not temporary, once you throw any stop leak products into our engine, you have just set yourself up for a long term issue.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Winching

Disco Mike... your right.. I did what you said and flushed and cleaned it all and changed to the green Peak! it is running very nice now! and wished I didn't use the K-Seal, even though at this point, and at time of flush and back flush, I didn't see any residue of it...I jumped the gun being a little afraid of overheating before I could get to working on it ( tooled up ) anyway, I now have an Ultragauge and it shows perfect in range ( hwy 195-198 ) and in town here is like 25mph so at about 203-210 occasionally after idle driving 25mph then coming to a stop for 5 minute retarded stop light but it never stays there is drops back down around 206.. anyway Im monitoring it every morning if needing top off or air in system for a few weeks... one thing I am noticing is since I do get some codes from O2 sensors pre cat I notice Bank 2 front cat has irratic voltages from .000 to 875 when warm and I think that is where my exhaust leak is also.. (taking to muffler shop monday can't seem to pinpoint exhaust leak ) but the adjacent cat on Bank 1 is MUCh more steady ... .445 on cold and once warmed up only fluctuates from .370-.650 range but NEVER .000!!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Winching
Cool

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Yes, K Seal can find the thermostat, as can any "water glass" product. Pix of conventional stat fouled with water glass from K Seal, and pix of D2 stat, notice the four little holes, hot coolant must go thru there to make stat open at right time. Plug them up and time for stat to reach opening temp is increased, meanwhile block does not know this and keeps pouring on the coal per electronically relayed command from the right foot of the soon to be impoverished owner.
I used that K seal for a few weeks and it stopped my leak but even better is showed me where the leakS were! lol leaves a gooey residual where it "fixed" it.. but it did work! I learned allot and the prev owner neglected engine a little form what I could see.. nothing was horrible but nothing was great either...as I haven't had any stuck or burnt gaskets ( dripping oil valve covers yes) or plastic or anything but I did have to to entire 80k major service including front drive shaft rebuild.. the rough idle for me was the O2 sensors... i still have an occasional 0430 Cat code pops up so Ill replace it... a few weeks after K-seal with no running problems, I then ran a flush through engine an flushed out all the dexcool and remaining if any K seal, replaced upper radiator hose, and thermostat and all is well except I have a tiny radiator leak again... I will be buying a new one soon... my radiator shop here in West Palm Beach Florida quoted me 230$ for a new one... doesnt seem to be bad and they are like the main radiator shop here in west palm, at least all the mechanic shops and indy shops farm out to them that I had talked too... I just dont want a chinese 150$ aftermarket one for 230... ill be checking soon... lol

Old 06-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aarongregor
Okay Im leaking I have white smoke coming out tail pipe now, not much just does it at start up.
Its normal for white "smoke" to come out your tail pipe on startup. Its just steam from condensation. After 10 minutes of driving, does it go away?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Eaglerover22
Its normal for white "smoke" to come out your tail pipe on startup. Its just steam from condensation. After 10 minutes of driving, does it go away?
Yes, depending on the weather.
If you are unsure smell it, if it smells sweet it is coolant.

Quick Reply: K-Seal