Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K-Seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K-Seal

Okay Im leaking I have white smoke coming out tail pipe now, not much just does it at start up. I know I need a head gasket job but do not have time to do it right now. Im looking for a temp fix so I came across K-seal and read some really good reviews on it. (Atlantic British sells it for 14.95 plus shipping which comes to like $26.00 I just bought a bottle off ebay for $14.00 shipped) I am wondering if anyone has used it. I know these types of temporary fixes are just temporary but thats all I need. Please let me know if you have used this and if it worked.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

THAT STUFF WORKS GREAT!!!!
I used it in my wifes Volvo, the radiator was leaking at one of the tank seams, radiator is only $100 but its a 8 hour job because you need to remove the front of the car.
I saw it in a local auto parts store.
Shook the bottle for 1 min, poured into the cold radiator, filled the K-Seal bottle with coolant, shook and poured that in as I wanted as much as possible.
Topped off cooling system.
Put the radiator cap back and drove around town for 40 min.
Parked car and let it sit overnight.
Has not leaked since, engine temp is normal, its been almost 2 months.

A friend of mine used it in his Suburban, small leak at the trans oil cooler, no more leaks.

For $15 what do you have to loose?
Only use one bottle, if it does not work you are right back where you started,

Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

K-seal is copper "powder" and "water glass" (sodium silicate). Many other forms of water glass are available, some with aluminum flakes, some with carbon nanofibers, etc.

One advantage of K Seal is that it comes in a very small bottle. So when it is added to the system, there is not a quart of the stuff left over to gunk up lots of other things.

After using this, please report back. Also watch your temps like a hawk, with scanner or ultra gauge if you have one of them. If KSeal blocked up your stat it could make things overheat badly. Budget for replacing thermostat on your project.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Winching

I replaced my thermostat about 2 years ago, Ill order another one and have it handy if you think I will need a new one Savannah.

When I use it I will post the progress...It probably wont arrive till mid week

Old 11-14-2011, 01:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried K-Seal a few weeks ago.

My overly serviced PT Cruiser recently had slow signs of a bad head gasket at 110k miles. It had exhaust gases entering into the cooling system. I thought these new types of MLS head gaskets should have got 250k...at least!

K-Seal was recommended by a friend, who is a shop owner that wheels a crew of Jeeps. He recommended it for a quick fix, which I needed. He advised that sealers are temporary, to get you to a safe place to fix the actual problem, and in some cases can be a permanent fix. Since I only needed a two to three week fix....why not!

I gave it a try, and it worked.....for two weeks. Just in time for me to finish up the Disco. My wife and I were sharing our last car, which just sits in the garage anyway....but it was tough sharing. One project done, now I need to pull the head off the Cruiser...

Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, K Seal can find the thermostat, as can any "water glass" product. Pix of conventional stat fouled with water glass from K Seal, and pix of D2 stat, notice the four little holes, hot coolant must go thru there to make stat open at right time. Plug them up and time for stat to reach opening temp is increased, meanwhile block does not know this and keeps pouring on the coal per electronically relayed command from the right foot of the soon to be impoverished owner.

Attached Thumbnails K-Seal-p1120245.jpg   K-Seal-thermo%2520inside%2520top.jpg  
Old 11-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
K-seal is copper "powder" and "water glass" (sodium silicate). Many other forms of water glass are available, some with aluminum flakes, some with carbon nanofibers, etc.

One advantage of K Seal is that it comes in a very small bottle. So when it is added to the system, there is not a quart of the stuff left over to gunk up lots of other things.

After using this, please report back. Also watch your temps like a hawk, with scanner or ultra gauge if you have one of them. If KSeal blocked up your stat it could make things overheat badly. Budget for replacing thermostat on your project.
Well, needing a quick fix and also as a test platform ( radiator leak, water pump gasket leak and a little misfiring) I closed eyes and dumped in the K-Seal on recommendations here and also that it was a tiny bottle ... so far my engine is smoother than it has ever been! so I think it is working so far! ill check leak out in morning ( its not enough leak to leave anything on ground just a small puddle on block behind water pump.... I have a new thermostat and plan to dump system of orange stuff and goto green but seems EVERY D&^% place close to me only sells that orange crap... anyway... I will be flushing system is if this helps fix er all up and then Ill have new coolant and thermostat after procedure, all should be ok! So far So good! waiting my ultra gauge too!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

So far no more leaking! and all seems well! engine running pretty smooth ( I still have small exhaust leak can smell exhaust a little if windows rolled down sitting at intersection so thats next! also I found a hose from drivers side valve cover that goes up into throttle body area did not have a hose clamp on it... will put one on tomorrow and see if any changes also!

Old 11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Winching

Tried K-Seal and it worked for about an hour. Needless to say I ordered a head kit from P.T. Schram...

Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Over the last month I have talked with 3 different people who have plugged up their radiator, t/stat or heater cores causing new over heat issues. It is like all the other stop leaks, full of silica and other materials, it flows around, find a place to stick to which in turn causes you problems.
Stay away from all stop leaks, the long term issues will break you.

Quick Reply: K-Seal