Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kayak carrying

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kayak carrying

Anyone throw a couple of Kayaks on the factory roof rack? I'm considering buying the factory cross bars that are rate for 50kg each to mount my Yakima kayak holders on. I'm just wondering how stable it's going to be based on someone else's experience.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Yakima Rail Grabs onto the factory rails. Then i use the Yakima Hully Rollers on Mako Saddles (allows me to roll the kayak on top since it's so damn tall).

Just watch drive thru windows and your garage. Expensive lessons

cheers.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by KindaGuitarded
Yakima Rail Grabs onto the factory rails. Then i use the Yakima Hully Rollers on Mako Saddles (allows me to roll the kayak on top since it's so damn tall).

cheers.
Made that mistake once. Let a friend borrow it and he parked it in a parking garage downtown. Ripped the roof-mounted lights right off the car.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Mudding

I have 2 sets of HullRaiser's like these:
Yakima HullRaiser Aero roof Watersports Rack

I was thinking I could just mount them on the factory cross bars instead of buying the Yakima crossbar. In the end, it would save me over $100. Anyone have the factory cross bars?

Like these:
Roof Rack Cross Bars for Landrover Discovery 2003 with Locking Key Very Nice | eBay

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by KindaGuitarded

cheers.
I don't suppose you have pictures of your setup do you?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know how the DII cross bars are but the D1 bars are held in place with 2 small pins that insert in the rails. Felt really unstable to me with even one kayak on them.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 PM
2nd Gear

I wouldn't trust just the factory crossbars with the kayak weight combined with the wind pressure. I have the Thule High Gutter Foot Pack (fits above/over the factory rack) with 78" bars so I can carry two kayaks and a paddleboard (or 3 kayaks). I figure it's better to spring the extra $$ to secure the kayaks than to lose $1500-$3000 worth of watercraft on the road.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ponyboy74
I figure it's better to spring the extra $$ to secure the kayaks than to lose $1500-$3000 worth of watercraft on the road.

Or having the Kayak make friends with Buick following you down the highway.

And i dont have pics of the setup, it's sitting in my garage since it hasn't been really water weather for a few months.

But it holds a 40lbs Perception kayak and a 25lbs full suspension mountain bike with no concerns.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I throw up a sheet of carpet insulation foam stuff that I had in the basement to protect the paint, slide my 12.5 ocean kayak right up the back from the rear, then use 2 ratcheting straps to hold the kayak. did it all summer, speeds 50+mph probably max, never a problem. I put one hook on the front corner of the drivers side rail, loop around the kayak, then hook on the passenger side and tighten the ratched down. I do the same at the rear only I use the ladder instead, looping the tie down around the kayak, then hook one hook to the other from under and around and tension it, so it pulls on itself braced on the ladder. i then retighten the front, then the rear and try to push and prod the kayak in all directions to make sure its tight. works perfectly, and other then the cost of the straps, no additional parts needed. if you dont have a rear ladder, i would probably cross strap the kayak as well as loop, the danger comes from it swinging side to side, not front in back from what ive experimented with. the kayak is so soft though and the roof has a small lip from the front to rear from the rear seats being elevated, that all thats needed to keep her from moving is slight pressure from the ratchets! only thing you have to worry about is not forgetting to remove the accessories from it before you throw it on the roof... i had a hand pump that i place under the kayaks top webbing, forgot it was on but it survived the wind home!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Mudding

Thanks for all the useful comments. I want to get an early start this spring and am planning ahead.