Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keep and fix/part out a "total loss" 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Also just for reference. My recent magnet test showed the following on which body panels of the Discovery 2 are Aluminum & Steel. This test was done on my 2003. I dont know about what Bondo accepts but I would guess it works just fine on Aluminum, Bondo may make a special type for aluminum.

As for keeping your 04. I would definitely keep it. Fix it up to look OK on your own schedule. Gather your parts form a junk yard and eBay. Consider; anything car you buy new will cost your more money upfront rather than doing maintenance and upkeep on what your already own. Other than a new engine in your 2004, all those issues sound like the normal issues. Although I understand fixing combined problems is a pain. If you can perform the maintenance yourself on your 2004 definitely keep it. The more projects and maintenance I do on my 2003 The more I like it. I test drove a Toyota FJ Cruiser. They are cool but nothing like a Rover. No where near the character. It felt plastic inside. Like my Dads Odyssey, but not as retarded as a mini van. of course.

Steel:
  • Back Gate - Outside Aluminum. Inside Steel
  • All doors
  • All Roof
  • Front Clip
  • Lower behind rear bumper
Aluminum:
  • Hood
  • Rear quarter panels
  • Quarter panels L&R side of back gate
  • Front L&R Fenders

Last edited by bosshogt; 01-16-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bondo will stick to just about anything. I have used to make trade show displays and it works great if it is not too thick. You may also end up getting some cracking if you wheel it a lot.

If you end up buying it I would be willing to buy it off you. I am looking for one to chop the top off. The rear damage will not be that important and I am sure no one will buy it after I am done with it anyways so the title issue does not matter.

If I was in your position though, I would buy it back, take the money they give me and buy something sensible (whatever that means to you) and keep it to wheel. It is always nice to have a dedicated wheeling vehicle that you do not care about that much as far as body panels.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, got the AAA quote today: walk away for $13232 or keep it and take $10237, so basically I can have her wrecked but drivable for 3k.
CA will put me thru some headache first before I get to keep it tho. I have to apply for a salvage title, which apparently takes weeks. The sheriffs will also have to sign off on the vehicles safety- must have passable working lights and brakes primarily, which it does.
Mechanic says the frame is slightly tweaked and will have to be pulled before new panel is installed (I still wonder tho, since it seemed to track straight with no shimmy, even driving home fresh from the accident at 80 mph.) Also says I need a new (not reworked) pass. side quarter panel and complete rear bumper. Hatch door is fine.
Would also like/need new rear hubs, pass front window regulator, drivers door lock actuator, and tranny service. I think that covers it, as I just did new Magnacor wires and NGK Iridium plugs, throttle body gasket, radiator flush, and new thermostat.
I'm guessing if I shop the bumper and quarter panel well and find resonably priced body work service, maybe I can fix her all up for $2500 or less, bringing my keep it total to under 6k? The mechanic scared me a bit tho, saying the quarter panel replacement is a real pain.
I have to consider the salvage title too. It'll be good luck in a resale if I ever should, and AAA wont insure it for greater than 4k or so after repairs.
Keep her, part her or say bye bye? I know the sentiment so far is to not let the state wreck her, and I tend to agree.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

If you can stay in it fixed for 6k that's a no brainer! Definitely hook that up quick. Also, the slavage title won't matter much as youll have a truck that's top notch plus cash in hand. Even if you get bored with her it's always a paid off vehicle which is an asset in the long term no matter how you slice it.

Best of luck and if you do decide to part out I'm sure you'll do fine, but I hope you give the forum first crack at her parts.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Mudding

forgot- its also time I rebuild the front driveshaft to a serviceable one. If I'm to keep this truck I need to prepare her for the long haul.
And considering that poor 9mpg city, it might also be time for new O2 sensors- and hopefully not cats!
Can anyone speculate on all the costs involved?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I am sure you can fix it for less than that. With the economy in CA I am sure you can find a decent shop to fix the quarter panel for a good deal. The parts should be fairly easy to find and it sounds like you can take your time to do so as well.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Mudding

Ok so the reputable LR body shop pros here in the south Los Angeles area- Autobahn- have quoted about $1500 for the quarter panel alone, plus bumper with assembly parts, rear tailight, for a total of around 2k in parts, and an estimated 20 hrs. labor, costing another 3k or so- total 5k to 6k. I believe this includes the frame straightening pull.
Granted these guys are not known as low priced, but they are good. The local South Bay LR dealership in Hermosa Beach uses them, sending over 100k new Range Rovers.

However I'm not a pay retail kinda guy. 5k- 6k seems excessive to me, as Rob earlier pointed out I could maybe get her done for under $2500 even.
So if I went with Autobahn-

-3k to keep it
-say 6k to fix her completely
- 9k total for a '04 80k mile Disco

The catch: now w/ CA salvage title. AAA wont insure it for more than 4-6k (yet to be determined) Resale value after repairs best around 6k.

I do want to keep it, so not all too concerned with the resale value, but what if I was in another accident and AAA only paid me out 5k? that would kinda suck.

I guess that since I want to keep it, and $ is an issue, I'm best to source the parts cheap and find a body shop that won't charge $150 an hour, hoping to keep the repair total to around 2k or so.

The poster from San Diego- know of a good pass. side rear quarter panel and rear bumper right now?

Last- if I CAN'T find cheap enough parts and repairs, I suppose its best to let the forums have a go at the parts. I can get a mechanic to take her apart, and I could park her partially dismantled on my driveway for maybe a few weeks before the wife goes nuts. I am worried though about packing and shipping to folks outside of southern CA.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why would the thought of a lr body shop even go through your head, are you sure you didn't bump it on your ice sliding escapade?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I you would like to keep it then do not worry about the title issue. Even if they only paid out $5k it is still something, and you are not out any real money then since it would be right back at your full replacement cost they would have given you even with the money spent for the repairs.

If you can take your time to do the repairs you can source parts reasonably. And then also get the quarter panel fixed when you have more cash on hand to do so, it wont kill you to drive it with a dented rear.

If you started parting it you would spend a good amount on the mechanic to do it for you. Plus where will you store a partly dismantled vehicle. Most HOA's will not let it sit in your drive very long.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You are not in love with the truck, and thats ok.
Let them total it and go buy a Liberty with the diesel.