Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenlowe Fan Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kenlowe Fan Conversion

I know this was brought up before, but looking at the Kenlowe site, the 2 year warranty with indemnity against engine damage caused by failure and an 8.5% increase in fuel economy with faster engine warm up so less rich running and less carboning combined with quieter operation and the fuel savings it just looks like such a good idea.

http://www.kenlowe.com/fans/consumers/fans03.html

Has anyone done this conversion here? I know just tossing in any random electric fan is asking for trouble for sure but this really does look like a well thought out solution from one of the major companies in the market (Denso being the other).

Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kenlowe Fan Conversion

I can't see why an electric fan wouldn't be a good idea. I installed one in a race car I built a few years ago and never once had an issue. It makes sense from a hp perspective as well as mpg. I am also looking to do the electric fan conversion, but don't have the time just yet.

Someone would have to have some hard evidence against using an electric fan other than "I know a guy" or "that's gonna mess up...". I don't believe most of that anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Chris

Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Mudding

how did the conversion go?
anyone else had any experience converting to an electric fan?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 8.5% increase in fuel economy is BS IMO, also the quicker warm up time.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Mudding

Bundu... what kind of results did you get when you converted to an electric fan?

I'd be happy with any kind of increase in fuel economy.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how an electric fan can contribute to quicker warm up times. Better fuel economy, maybe, but not 8.5 % increase.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twaszak
Bundu... what kind of results did you get when you converted to an electric fan?

I'd be happy with any kind of increase in fuel economy.
I did not convert to an electric fan. Huge gas savings from an electric fan is a myth, you are going to spend way more on the hardware than you will ever save on gas.
A friend converted his 10MPH truck to an electric fan and got about 0.01MPG difference, that's what a 0.1% improvement? The fan kit cost him about $200
I'm sure he will make up that $200 sometime...

Old 04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it, On my jeep I replaced the O.E.M fan with a electric fan, it worked great, buy a electra lite fan with a thermo state. O.E.M fans cause drag on the motor which causes poor M.P.H and loss of H.P. You will feel the difference.There is no way that the new fan will cause any problems as it should come with its own relays, fuses and wires, You deffentley should wire up a over ride switch for water crossings.they are verey easey to wire up, I will be doing one on my rover in a little bit. Also your water pump will last longer as the O.E.M fan is on the same pulley.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Mudding
Cool

My question/post was:

"how did the conversion go?
anyone else had any experience converting to an electric fan?"

Respectfully, my question/post wasn't asking for opinions about the pros or cons of viscous to electric conversions.
And I wasn't asking for a cost-benefit-analysis or advice or opinions about whether or not I should do a conversion or if it's a good idea.
I also wasn't asking about anything anyone had heard from other people about other peoples experiences with viscous to electric conversions.

Regarding those moments when we are quick to make a quick negative judgement against trying new, different, and/or experimental, (unproven but plausible) ways of solving a problem, based on things that they've heard other people say they have heard about other peoples experiences and failures etc etc... a few thoughts:
- the devil is always in the details of the implementation
- it's possible to learn from failure. sometimes someone can figure out why something failed and try something differently and maybe have success... (or find new ways of failing)
- we can learn a lot from each other, but sometimes, there is no substitute for first hand experience
- Every person who owns a Land Rover has a very different and individual idea of what is and isn't "worth the effort", "a waste of time", and "a waste of money" etc etc.

Cheers,

Thomas

The following users liked this post:
TomOwen (12-07-2015)