Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key wont open driver's door and battery dead,....cant open truck. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Key wont open driver's door and battery dead,....cant open truck. Suggestions?

The driver's door has the only key slot on my 2003 Disco and it wont unlock the truck. I always have entered it using the remote lock/unlock function on the key/remote. I had a look at the door latch mechanism many months ago,.....and even tried a new latch shaft that runs from the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism. Never could get it to work,......and gave up,....and put it back together. It did occur to me that if the battery died,....I might not be able to get it open, to open the hood and jump start it or charge the battery,..and of course, with the truck just sitting, that is exactly what happened.

Wondering if there is a way to open the hood from outside through the grill, or perhaps connect my jumper battery through my trailer hitch electrical harness to power up the door locks, get the doors open, open the hood and charge or jump the battery

Suggestions?

Brian in San Antonio

Last edited by bcolins; 06-26-2017 at 10:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fahadco80 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

You can get a jumper charging cable on the starter.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:20 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
The driver's door has the only key slot on my 2003 Disco and it wont unlock the truck. I always have entered it using the remote lock/unlock function on the key/remote. I had a look at the door latch mechanism many months ago,.....and even tried a new latch shaft that runs from the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism. Never could get it to work,......and gave up,....and put it back together. It did occur to me that if the battery died,....I might not be able to get it open, to open the hood and jump start it or charge the battery,..and of course, with the truck just sitting, that is exactly what happened.

Wondering if there is a way to open the hood from outside through the grill, or perhaps connect my jumper battery through my trailer hitch electrical harness to power up the door locks, get the doors open, open the hood and charge or jump the battery

Suggestions?

Brian in San Antonio
I read it once somewhere that you can charge the battery underneath through the starter. Never tried that since my driver side wont lock anyway, the key won't work on my driver side. But hope you find a solution. Removing the grill requires the removal of 3 plastic rivets from the inside.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
You can get a jumper charging cable on the starter.
X2, do this.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
X2, do this.
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. Is the starter on the passenger side? (Wondering which side I should crawl under)

Brian in San Antonio

Old 06-27-2017, 10:50 AM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by bcolins
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. Is the starter on the passenger side? (Wondering which side I should crawl under)

Brian in San Antonio
Yes, passenger side.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe try a locksmith for that new door lock thingy. Had one put mine in, took maybe 5 mins., min charge.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Just be careful with that positive battery charger cable or you are going to have a very bad day!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
Just be careful with that positive battery charger cable or you are going to have a very bad day!
How do you figure?

Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

If he grounds the positive side of the battery out, it could arc and start a fire, shock the hell out of him, or fry some electronics. The battery may be dead, but I personally would be very careful just in case.

Quick Reply: Key wont open driver's door and battery dead,....cant open truck. Suggestions?