Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyfob programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyfob programming

I have seen there is a code reader that also does the keyfobs
has anyone used one of these before?
my key unlock button broke on the fob then the circuit board just broke off its solder points.
So I am just going to buy a new fob with the key but wondered how hard is it to redo a new fob? I dont have the code from the old fob and is the reader that does the programming also a good code reader for the discos
I heard there are a couple of other that are better for diagnostics but wont do the fobs
any input is appreciated

Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mutant
I have seen there is a code reader that also does the keyfobs
has anyone used one of these before?
my key unlock button broke on the fob then the circuit board just broke off its solder points.
So I am just going to buy a new fob with the key but wondered how hard is it to redo a new fob? I dont have the code from the old fob and is the reader that does the programming also a good code reader for the discos
I heard there are a couple of other that are better for diagnostics but wont do the fobs
any input is appreciated
If you are buying a code reader just to reprogram your keyfob it's probably cheaper to visit an LR main dealer who can do it via Test Book (telephone them first to enquire what info they need from you).

I use both a Lynx and Autel diag tools, the Lynx programmes key fobs no probs but the Autel MaxiDiag does not.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

mutant - Have you looked into buying a key fob rebuild kit? I bought one off amazon and replaced the little buttons and it worked like a charm.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:19 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming keys

The Hawkeye does it and it will also do it for the rear air suspension fobs if fitted, it is quite straight forward to do, it will only do a new fob with the bar code not reprogramme a key as far as I am aware.
I have used it for a new key and air suspension.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've done it with Hawkeye and nanocom. Plenty of threads talking about it. Nanocom does used fobs too. Hawkeye can do used, but it's a lot more work on your part.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default programming key fobs

Originally Posted by RRHH
The Hawkeye does it and it will also do it for the rear air suspension fobs if fitted, it is quite straight forward to do, it will only do a new fob with the bar code not reprogramme a key as far as I am aware.
I have used it for a new key and air suspension.
This is exactly correct, without doubt. The Hawkeye, which I have, will program only NEW key fobs, but WILL NOT program used key fobs. Some misinformed guys had told me that it will program used fobs, but after months of frustrating attempts, I contacted the makers of the Hawkeye, and they told me that they never made the firmware for the Hawkeye to program used key fobs, for security reasons, thus, everyone should be able to at least trust that Hawkeye knows what they made and what they didn't make.
The Nanocom, on the other hand, which I also have, WILL program NEW AND USEd key fobs, as well as do most, if not all, other things that the Hawkeye will do. THIS US THE TRUTH THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

Old 04-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've actually done it. Used fobs on Hawkeye.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Launch x431 will program and update keyfobs/plips, but you need the 2 long codes. it won't convert the short code like the hawkeye & nancom.

Correction*. if you select (don't have 16 digit code) It will prompt for the 6 digit.

Also, additional research, it looks like the Software for the Launch x431 is the same as the iLand. meaning Launch writes the iLand software.

Last edited by Seattled2; 12-13-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: revision.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve been tracking this issue for MONTHS....
i have a new FOB I need coded to my D2; I have been told TOO MANY times to count:

1. NanoCom will program NEW and USED Fobs.
2. Nighthawk will ONLY program NEW Fobs.

the NanoCom is over $400; I can’t even find a Nighthawk for sale.

IF you have other related issues and need the tool to track other problems...it is worth the investment.

IF you just need the Fob programmed then go to the stealership, it’s gonna cost you $100 to program the Fob, and $60 to cut the key.

The stealership WILL NOT reprogram a used Fob....

I have been looking for months for a fellow disco owner in Central Kentucky that would help with programming my Fob...and crickets.

Doc

Old 12-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these key fobs really over 200 dollars then another couple of hundred to get them working?? There must be a better way.

Quick Reply: keyfob programming