Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor Bank 2 Broken Wires at the Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 08:35 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock Sensor Bank 2 Broken Wires at the Plug

Howdy Folks. I had a knock sensor bank 2 code on my scanner. Upon investigation it appears the old brittle wires had completely broken off from the end of the plug itself. I scoured the internet for a replacement with no luck. There is no way to splice this together because I don't have anything to work with on the plug end. Splicing seems like a bad idea anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this? It almost looks as if you can remove the pins with some sore of tool. I suppose it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the entire wiring harness, being a 2003, but I would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

You should definitely be able to get a de-pinning tool (probably off amazon) to get the pins out.

You're in a much better situation than I. My wire is broken and soldering it back together did not work very well since it has a shielding cover over it that I didn't put back together too well. I'll have to pull the AC compressor and bracket behind it to try to repair it again.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You can get a pigtail plug for practically any sensor on the engine car on amazon. You might have to look for old BMW as well (they use the same engine management/sensors). Also if one is broken, then more will go soon (like mine did: injectors, evap solenoid, oil presusre) get a used harness.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find one. This is what I'm looking for but I'm running circles trying to find it. I think you're right, it may be time to replace the entire harness. Is it possible to find a new one?

Old 02-04-2020, 07:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi,

I'd try going to a pull apart and snipping off one myself or emailing one of the eBay Landrover used parts people the will find one for sure. If you would rather go with new, search Amazon not necessarily for this exact fit i.e
Amazon Amazon
looks like it might fit. LR is a Bosh system, so they use exact same plugs on BMW, vw, Audi, and couple other German brands and even Japanese.
lastly you can purchase a "variety" pigtail pack and hope one of them will fit with some persuasion.