Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Hello everyone,

As with any new person to a car forum the first post usually deals with dumb questions that everyone that's a veteran here could probably answer.

My question to you guys comes in two parts...

Should I buy a Discovery II as a second car/ski trip/camping trip/dog carrier/people carrier (looking at 7 seaters) and accept it along with all its known faults? (I'm expecting to be under it as much as driving it

OR What similar options are out there that you would recommend or dare I say regret not having purchased?

I'd love an HJ 47 but I'm not made of money, I'm considering the 4 runners with 3 rd row seating but it looks cramped, and I'd buy any old american SUV if it wasn't for the fact that they're so much bigger.

Any ideas guys? Should I take the plunge?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Disco. I would say if you are ready for the work that these require, do it. As far as it being less cramped than a 4runner or similar, the back seats of the Disco are actually pretty cramped themselves. The Disco has a nice, short wheel base which is great for the trails, but it does make that back seat not all that roomy. But the Disco is awesome in the snow and bad weather.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

A Disco is a Hobby/Project vehicle, always a little something going on but you will never get a batter vehicle on or off the road.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I like my Discovery. That said, if you don't want to work on your cars as much, 80 or 100 series Toyota land cruisers (and their Lexus counterparts) are pretty good vehicles, and some will seat 7 or more, even more comfortably than a discovery.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The discovery II is a fabulous vehicle (my opinion) parts a cheap for the most part or average cost. "Good thing for most owners" hold up very well in accidents!

Some of your other vehicles listed may not break as often or need as much attention but parts may cost more? Cost to operate. How many miles per year? What kind of abuse? All these things will come into play with anything you pick. So how often you fix or make repairs will depend on how you use it.

I think that you have to decide what looks best to you what attracts you to one more than the other and deal with the problems it gives you.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

As far you looking for 7 seats I have never had 7 people in my rover even if I did I would love to see anyone sitting in those 2 small seats way in the Back I think it would be way to uncomfortable even for kids

Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Why would you want a Discovery versus a car with torsion bar or coil spung IFS and rear leafs? What justification does the Land Rover have compared to a H3, an Xterra, a (NAS) Land Cruiser, Tacoma crew cab, or even a Honda Pilot? (there's only one answer) All of those are better cars for 99.9%. Get an XC90, get an Outback. Most likely you don't even need four wheel drive.

If you can't afford an old Land Cruiser, then you won't like the Discovery II. It will cost more if you keep it for any length of time.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
Why would you want a Discovery versus a car with torsion bar or coil spung IFS and rear leafs? What justification does the Land Rover have compared to a H3, an Xterra, a (NAS) Land Cruiser, Tacoma crew cab, or even a Honda Pilot? (there's only one answer) All of those are better cars for 99.9%. Get an XC90, get an Outback. Most likely you don't even need four wheel drive.

If you can't afford an old Land Cruiser, then you won't like the Discovery II. It will cost more if you keep it for any length of time.
As a daily driver I could agree. But consider the circumstances. This OP wants a DII as a second trail/camping car. I think the DII would be perfect for you OP.

Everything 2001 said is true. The DII can be a pain sometimes, but the good part is that the DII can be a completely do it yourself vehicle. Invest in a decent tool set. Whenever you get your DII, replace the head gaskets, radiator, fan clutch, waterpump, and run a 180 tstat and I'm willing to bet you won't have many problems for a long time.

The only other 4x4 I'd want besides the Discovery is a 2001 Montero, a new(ish) exterra or Nissan Patrol(which they dont have in the states). But all in all I think a lifted Discovery with good tires is going to outperform any vehicle in it's class.

The H3 is a badass truck. Reliable and capable, doesn't have the swag of the Discovery 1 or 2 though.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The 3rd row of seats are for people you dont like.
If you want a real 7 seater that is great in the snow and is a "gas and go" type of SUV get a Mitsubishi Montero.
2001 or newer and NOT the Montero Sport.
2001 Mitsubishi Montero Price, Specs & Performance - Motor Trend
I had one and LOVED it!!
The 3rd seat folds into the floor and is removable if you need the extra room.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna

an HJ 47 starts at right around 20 Grand for a decent sample (most recent one I've seen wanted a whole lot more) and Discovery IIs are getting below 8-10 Grand so unless 10 K is pocket change to you that is a big gap for me.

We would like four wheel drive as all camping roads in our area are gravel and constant kink/180 turns/elevation changes (Georgia, NC, SC, Tennessee, appalachian trail connectors) camping. I've been taking my parents H3 and it's an ok vehicle but the over-macho attitude can be a little off putting at times AND they can't drive stick so I can't leave them with my cars to use for the time being.

We tried taking a front wheel drive car once and it couldn't make it the last few miles to the trail points

thanks for giving me all the other options out there though as the more and more I think about it, I don't think I'd like anything else. I'd considered a 4 door JK but I haven't heard great things about the V6 and they're still high up on the price range for a vehicle that would only be used once or twice a week. Worst comes to worst and I chicken out, I may just get a TJ and sacrifice room, owning a LR, and being able to haul a bit more stuff/people on those quick trips around camping sites/ski lodges at night.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: The Land Discovery II and its competitors