Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Land Discovery II and its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a little different topic but one I'm interested in. I'm considering driving my Discovery 1 more and more, especially on longer road trips but highway safety is a real concern simply because it's an older vehicle (1998) and frankly I don't think it's as safe in a collision, especially a side-impact collision, as newer vehicles that I could choose instead.

Modernizing an old Discovery is not a practical option, but brute-force is. I can't practically add side-curtain airbags, but I can add a roll cage with tubing across the doors (that you have to climb over), and 5-pt harnesses. I may be able to replace the seats with something that protects the occupants better too.

A suitably designed roll cage, and my steel bumpers and sliders will stop instrusion fairly effectively, but when I look at the moderate overlap tests, what I believe scores better is a car that absorbs more energy. The more the front of the car crumples, the better. Unfortunately, the Disco's crumple-zones were engineered in the 80's, and my steel bumpers and junk will make things worse.

A double-shoulder harness will compensate for my 15 year old airbags and original belt tensioners that can no longer be relied upon, but I can't think of anything I can do to improve energy absorbtion. Because of that, I leave the Disco at home. My other cars are safer in traffic. They're bigger and more modern.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Slingin Carbon
So in other words, you are saying "Buy a DII for $4-8,000 and then the day you buy it drop another $1500-2500 into it, and you might be ok for a little while!" Well I did take the plunge and I am starting to think that maybe I shouldn't have. I bought mine for $4,500 on November 10, 2012 and not even a month later I have already spent $300 on trying to get it run a little better (that was just Tools, Plugs, Thermostat, Expansion Tank Cap, UltraGuage).
Now I think I have to spend $300 for a FDS, $350 for a Radiator! Also, have to get new tires ($1000, which I understand), Stereo System SUCKS! in my Rover so that will get changed. Oh but did I mention that I really Love driving it, I really like it a lot, just wish it wasn't such a money and time pit! Oh, but since I think that I have to replace the Front Drive Shaft, it is sitting in the driveway like a boat anchor! So, that means my investment is not doing what I bought it for!

Good luck on your decision and I would still vote for buying the DII and just do what it takes!

Sounds like "typical investments" to me, minus the front propshaft. Let me say that of the 5 vehicles Ive owned in my short life EVERY ONE OF THEME needed new tires, all new brakes and check engine serviced - to say the least! Call it back karma or just normality for any 100K+ second or 3rd hand vehicle. When hunting for an older vehicle, expect to invest afew grand in the beginning to get a decent tool set, manuals, any specific parts, oils and scan gauges. You will be hard pressed to find any used vehicle that does not require at least $500 in work. Vehicles in general are not very reliable and need frequent attention. Also worth noting that if you invest in a vehicle without first getting all the information facts and history of that vehicle than your asking for it..... when searching for a Land Rover or any vehicle for that matter, take your time, make sure the vehicle had loving owners who always took care of it and frequent oil changes - otherwise you'll be on here bitching about having purchased a complete POS!

If anyone has a problem with investing $$$% in their vehicles than may I recommend you sell your vehicle and hire a local taxi/bus driver to lug you around - add up those costs and I bet youll be on your knees begging for your POS vehicle back Taxi's are super expensive.

With that said I wish all of you the best of luck and remember to take your time and dont buy until your heart speaks.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I just went out and bought an 04 Disco 2, then came home and stumbled upon this thread It's good that people are honest when prospective buyers ask for opinions, but I think there is a fine line between being honest and scaring people away. Any internet vehicle forum seems to be full of people with problems. Don't forget the newest D2'd are now 9 years old. Go to any other manufacturer forum asking about 9 to 13 year old vehicles and I best most of the threads are people having problems. I see quite a few D2's around town where I live and most are driven by older people, probably not the kind of people on this board. There are good ones out there if you do your homework, know what to look for, and are patient. I'll see how good mine turns out when I bring it home this weekend.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Eniam17
I'm glad I just went out and bought an 04 Disco 2, then came home and stumbled upon this thread It's good that people are honest when prospective buyers ask for opinions, but I think there is a fine line between being honest and scaring people away. Any internet vehicle forum seems to be full of people with problems. Don't forget the newest D2'd are now 9 years old. Go to any other manufacturer forum asking about 9 to 13 year old vehicles and I best most of the threads are people having problems. I see quite a few D2's around town where I live and most are driven by older people, probably not the kind of people on this board. There are good ones out there if you do your homework, know what to look for, and are patient. I'll see how good mine turns out when I bring it home this weekend.
Good post and many valid points here
AND might I add that some of us know very well from the start, all the potential problems with these vehicles - and undeterred we still seek them out and manage to keep them on the road as our daily driver year after year..... lol and would not have it any other way thats what being an "enthusiast" is all about.

Owning a Land Rover Discovery works for me because I fully planned to perform any/all the mechanical work myself, AND I know of several good places (online) to get the best prices on Rover specific replacement parts for the best prices. Thus avoiding labor and tax charges, plus the dread of what a clueless mechanic might have ruined on my truck! Honestly I dont even trust ANYONE to change the oil on my Rover say nothing about general mechanical work.

But if your dependent on dealerships and local mechanics to keep your Rover in good health, than owning one IS NOT FOR YOU! Simple as that.

Last edited by TRIARII; 01-02-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Im the second owner of my 03 DII and I paid $17000.00 and that was off ebay. The dealer was selling my same truck with 10k more miles for $27000.00. Granted this was a few years back before gas prices went crazy. I have done a list of things to keep mine running and it is my daily driver, I am currently looking for another so I can turn this into a off road beast. I have spent a lot in repairing/maintaining it but have done the work myself thanks to the amazing members on this forum (if you guys want credit I will gladly name drop). Its an awesome truck and I never plan to sell it. If you can read and comprehend what you read and can use a wrench it is an awesome truck. As others have said its a sort of hobby. This was/is my first truck, always had Saab and Jag and I love this beast. One thing I learned on this forum is search before you ask. We all share many of the same problems.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

AG you should get a 99 and turn it into an offroad beast, then you can lock the center diff and keep the clean 03 for the road.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Winching
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingin Carbon
That is where I am... I paid $4,500 for my 2003 D2, and I now have to pay $300 for Drive Shaft! On top of the other stuff I have already done to it. I really like the truck, but I just don't know if it is going to be the best thing to keep. I am not a mechanic! Don;t know for sure if I can perform most the stuff needed for this thing!
Takes a few hrs and couple question and answer sessions here and for about $80 you can do prop shaft yourself! I opted for the nicer hd u joints and it runs great! And now servicable!

As for my service... I too bought my disco 2 before finding forum but have many years working on european and german cars... I did have to tool up alittle and ask abunch of questions since i dont mechanic as a living, when i bougt mine, it was running hot, 9 +codes, bad rrear tires, passenger window locks and motors for up n down all non functional... It missed and idled rough... But looked good and not overheating just running alittle hot (thermostat fix) i methodically did the 80k service plus all those repairs including radiator upper hose and worked out all codes and now almost 1.5 years owning and runs like a champ ( couple little issues but toally acceptable)! I love my rover but I do want an 04 so in a year or so i may "upgrade" but now i know a ton more because of this fantastic forum and im tooled up!! Total cost id say about $1200 in parts including synthetic fluids to finish up the service and some cool roof rack addons!

Last edited by dparham; 02-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In reference to the durability of a Disco in a wreck I can a test to its crash worthiness. I had a 96 DI that was totaled when a 3/4 4x4 suburban pulled out in front of me on the highway. I swerved to miss him to no avail, prob hit him close to 55mph. I had my two kids, 5 and 3 at the time I think. Both were in car seats. None of us were injured minus the airbag burn on my arm from the steering wheel bag and my son biting his tongue a lil. He was asleep.
That being said, I bought another one which I still own. A 00 DII with about 150K on it now. Overall has been a good truck with fairly minimal maint. I am about to have to go into it for what looks like a possible head gasket repair or water pump but I guess I can't really complain too much about that as over the years I haven't had to do much else.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dii

I owned a DII for 3 years as my daily driver and other than regular maintenance only had to replace the alternator once!,,,,,,Currently looking to buy another DII