Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:09 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Land Rover Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming

What does your local dealer charge for Land Rover keyless entry remotes?

My Land Rover dealer wants $149 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (94 & 97 Discovery).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Land Rover Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming

My Discovery is going into the shop tomorrow. I'll let you know how much the Germans get me for. I only have one remote so the second has to be purchased, then there's the programming. The alarm has a fault and it can only be cleared by the dealership so I can drive it daily. Starting it is hit and miss so I'm using my Volvo in the meantime. I tried to avoid the dealership, but there's no way to bypass the electronic system.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
4wd Low

What year is your Land Rover?

Old 09-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Drifting

I got a call from the dealer this afternoon. There was a blown fuse and a "cable" that wasn't connected in the door. It's hard to understand German translated into broken English. I'll find out more when I speak to him personally. The fuse was replaced and he also said that the alarm ECU was bad. The cost for the ECU repair was 300 Euro plus 260 Euro in labor. With the exchange rate, it was almost $700 USD. I can get another ECU on eBay or from one of the Disco sites and he'll replace it (for the labor charge). The alarm ECU is located behind the glove box so if you hear a clicking sound from the passenger side when you try to start the Disco, that's probably the culprit. The alarm fault is cleared, but the faulty ECU allows the alarm to go off intermittently so that's somewhat of a concern. Beginning the ECU hunt. I didn't get the second remote yet, I may do that when I have the ECU replaced.

Joe
96 D1 SE7
94 Volvo 850
Stuttgart, Germany

Old 09-21-2005, 11:15 PM
4wd Low

I found another keyless entry remote site online that I'm willing to give a shot - www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

The stupid KR site wants $149 a piece for the 94 Discovery remote, and they're about 1/3 that price on ThePartsYouNeed site with the instructions included. I ordered 1 this morning.

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/disp...productId=1331

I'll keep you guys posted. If it works good, I'm going to order one for my 97 as well.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Three Wheeling

was the "cable" the reason the fuse blow or did it blow because of something else?

Old 09-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Drifting

I'm not sure if the cable was the cause of the blown fuse or vice versa. It's electronic so the ECU may have caused the fuse to blow. I pick up the D1 later today. If I can translate the invoice, I'll post it. I ordered a security ECU from TidewaterRover (Jammer) so that should clear all the faults and alarm issues. The next step will be to order the key fobs and have them programmed.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Drifting

I just got back from the dealer. Here's the lowdown, the ECU still has a fault. The "cable" the service manager mentioned is the antenna on the ECU. The antenna is the faulty component so I'm still going to replace the unit. If the alarm goes off again, then I can reset it with the remote. The dealership was able to program a single remote vice only in pairs. I know there are others with the same problem, if it occurs and your remote is functional, you may be able to reset the alarm by using the remote in the passenger side kick panel where the ECU is located.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:53 PM
4wd Low

I got my remote from ThePartsYouNeed.com in the mail today. 7 days isn't bad especially when one was a Sunday.

Programming was easy, took about 10 seconds. I can't believe a dealership would charge 1/2 hour of labor for a 10 second job. Thats a good way to lose customers.

Anyhow, the remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the 97 I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the 94 and a pair for the 97. FINALLY, I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

ThePartsYouNeed.com rocks!

Old 10-07-2005, 10:25 PM
4wd Low

I got the other 3 remotes in a few days ago and finally made it down to the dealer to get the 97 units programmed. They regularly charge for the programming, but they threw it in for free since I had them doing some quick lube maintenance already. One of their techs didn't know there was a customer program method for the 94, so I showed him when I reprogammed both remotes with the instructions sheet. I wonder if they really didn't know...or if they just pretend so most people pay them to do it?

The following users liked this post:
Melissa F Boswell (03-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Land Rover Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming