Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Problems - Please HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:11 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Problems - Please HELP?

Hello all,
I just brought a 2003 Land Rover Discovery HSE7. The car is in great condition with just two problems that i don't know the solution too. Any body's help would greatly be appreciated!
Problem Number 1:
The previous owner was driving the car just fine until he said it turned off on him and would not start back on at all. The engine made no noise car was running perfectly fine.
Problem Number 2:
The driver side door (Left front door) Makes a funny noise repeatedly when it closed. Once you close the door you can not open it even when you lock and unlock the door, you can only open it from the inside. Once the door is closed a funny clunking noise repeatedly happens for about a minute,

Personally why i think the car wont start is because of the door problem. I know that Mercedes has its own little tricks as well as Land Rovers. One of my friends changed the battery on his Mercedes and the car would not start because there was a code to be input. I dont know if my Discovery wont turn on because of the door problem.

Thank you so much in advance!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM
4wd Low

I would check the crankshaft position sensor. Easy to replace. It would be on the drivers side at the bell housing.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 AM
4wd Low

As for your door sound. It appears you need to change the door lock actuator. It sounds like the dc motor in it is hanging up. Some say you can replace the dc motor, available at Radio Shack. I have not tried this but have replaced the whole door lock actuator.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The no start problem with a crank position sensor is frequently also a "no codes displayed", no check engine light on. Here is a pix of the electrical connector and the sensor is just below it. Comes from the RAVE, which is the factory set of owners, shop, and electrical manuals. Free download in my signature. RAVE stands for Rovers A'int Very Economical.

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover Problems - Please HELP?-wallet.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 crank connector.pdf (445.8 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 PM
5th Gear

I tried turning the engine manually from underneath the car, but it does not move at all! any suggestions.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Let's get on the same page. You bought a car that does not run and that you could not test drive? If engine is siezed, what do you plan to do?

Does the starter not engage and turn the engine when you try to start (fan belt does not move)? Most would call this won't crank, as opposed to won't start (engine turns but fuel and/or spark issues keep it from running).

It is unlikely you will be able to easily turn engine by hand with all the spark plugs in place (compression) and the mutiple devices attached by fan belt.

If starter does not engage or try to engage:

1. Any light on dash? Is battery dead or very low? Have you tried jumping from another vehicle? Have you reset the inertia (crash switch) on the fire wall?

2. If you are comfortable with basic electrics, here is a schematic for the starting circuits. There is an underhood fuse box with fuse links, starter relay, etc.

3. If you want to be sure starter works at all, see attached pix of rear of starter. With vehicle in park and E barke on, remove the brown/red wire from that plug on lead. Use a screwdriver, etc. to short the big wire (+ battery) to the connector exposed by the wire you just removed. This should make starter pull in (engage) and turn the engine). This can also be accomplished from the fuse box by removing the starter relay and jumping across the relay socket pins for the contacts.

4. On the Rover, the cranking relay is contolled by the BCU (Body Control Unit) which also runs the alarm system. If alarm is tripped or ignition is immobilized due to perceived theft attempt, starter relay won't operate.

5. The RAVE is the factory shop manual set, in my signature, free download, you will want your own copy.

6. What sort of vehicle repair have you done in the past (we have the full range of owners, from never touched a wrench to professional techs from top line dealerships)?

Attached Files
d2 cranking.pdf (596.9 KB, 97 views)
d2 starter pix.pdf (415.0 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 01-15-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:28 PM
5th Gear

Battery is charged and when key is placed in ignition then all lights come on dash. When you try to start it nothing happens. i will try what you said and see what happens

Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Overlanding

I had the same sudden cut-off issue on my '02. Would start after a 10 minute wait but would die again. Crank position sensor replaced and never another issue.

I agree with the doorlock actuator. Had this happen on an old BMW 325es and there was a bad connection. On a LR, I don't know if it can be repaired or should be replaced.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by vandyboy
I had the same sudden cut-off issue on my '02. Would start after a 10 minute wait but would die again. Crank position sensor replaced and never another issue.

I agree with the doorlock actuator. Had this happen on an old BMW 325es and there was a bad connection. On a LR, I don't know if it can be repaired or should be replaced.
I took the spark plugs out to see if the engine would crank but nothing the fan does not even move. Its like the engine is in a 'lock position'

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you turn it over by hand with a breaker bar and socket on the crank pulley bolt?

Quick Reply: Land Rover Problems - Please HELP?