Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Land Rover Vs. Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
I think I have seen you around town or around MSFT campus
which MS campus? Redmond, SJC or Cambridge?
My daily driver doesn't fit in MS parking garages, but my "backup" truck does

Old 01-20-2017, 01:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
My daily driver doesn't fit in MS parking garages, but my "backup" truck does
LOL. Love the back up truck. What engine does it have?

Live in Seattle but my Rovers are in my workshop down south except the Disco2.

110 barely clears downtown garages but 90 has no chance.

I have driven to Bellevue a few times to see my CPA in my 110.

Here is my 98 TJ. D44 with ARB locker for viewing pleasure. 98 4.0L with 4 inch lift 33" OME shocks 4.56 Super 44 with ARB locker. Warn M8000 with ARB bull bar. Garvin tire carrier. Full cage. All work done by me.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

I am at the Redwest Campus

Originally Posted by DailyDrivenTJ
Live in Seattle but my Rovers are in my workshop down south except the Disco2.
I have driven to Bellevue a few times to see my CPA in my 110.
I seen the 110, kind of hard not to miss it. I don't recall the exact place and time but, it was either Redmond or Bellevue. Maybe even Issaquah.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah Redwest.
my first ever office at MS was in Redwest A in the summer of 1997.

My 109 CSW has a rebuilt 200tdi in it (Steve Parker conversion). For a Series truck it hauls ***. Once I'm into 4th gear and the turbo is spooling up, it's off to the races. It'll exceed the legally posted speed limit on any Interstate going up hill! Stopping, not so much. It's still on drums.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

My 05 LJ

Old 01-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

These thread are always so funny. Replace Jeep with Toyota or any other marque. The same goes on with motorcycles and blah blah blah. As the current owner of a 2012 Rubicon 4 door and a Range Rover Sport SC as well as a Mercedes 300GD (full EU spec with a diesel) I always find these threads funny. Completely useless as usually some fan boi riles everyone up and we're off to the races of nonsensical arguing.

In terms of the original post, the response that stated the original LR was a different take on the Jeep was a perfect analogy- and I think holds true still now.

Reliability is such a ridiculous and subjective analogy. I'm convinced that a vehicle will be as reliable as the owner makes it. There are Discos that have made it around the world, yet everyone talks about what garbage the motor is it was cast from worn out dyes and the like. Then there are ones that can't make it 50k miles before needing head gaskets. There are Jeeps with motors that were junk from the factory and those that go for a few hundred thousand miles with minimal effort. Personally I try not to abuse my junk and take it for what it is and follow the maintenance schedule.

Jeep Grand Cherokees are approaching Range Rovers in luxury and a Defender will always be a different iteration of of what Wrangler, CJ, etc is. Most of the stuff that interests folks on this board is so old that invariably there will be issues to resolve. So can you say it's unreliable because of this? Of course not. The same goes for a Jeep, a lawnmower, a house, etc.

Why did I buy a Disco? I think they are one of the coolest looking vehicles produced EVER! I thoroughly enjoy driving it. I have literally a trainload of issues to resolve. Not many of them are expensive and I knew what I was getting into. I'm playing with the idea of buying a dead motor shell just to get various sundry parts off due to them being DIRT cheap and we have the space.

Our Jeep has no equal out of the box bar none. Stronger axles, insane low gearing, lockers, disconnecting front sway bar, better approach and departure angles that anything, and better axle articulation make it a point and shoot brainless king of difficult trails. It is also an acceptable vehicle to drive with all the modern amenities most expect (BT, GPS, power windows, heated seats, AC that actually works, etc), but is not a Rover, or an X5, or even a Grand Cherokee. OK, enough pointless babbling- everyone likes pics:

Our G Still in Germany

Current state just before we left CA

Current Jeep on its namesake 3 months after taking delivery

My old Jeep on the Rubicon

Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Ah Redwest.
my first ever office at MS was in Redwest A in the summer of 1997.

My 109 CSW has a rebuilt 200tdi in it (Steve Parker conversion). For a Series truck it hauls ***. Once I'm into 4th gear and the turbo is spooling up, it's off to the races. It'll exceed the legally posted speed limit on any Interstate going up hill! Stopping, not so much. It's still on drums.
Very nice. I am pulling the 19J out of 110 and putting in Defender 200TDI. Picked up VNT for it. Just got the block back from Seattle Autosports after overboring 020 with new piston IIRC. Putting a rebuilt head. Top deck was milled 0.003.

The 90 has 200tdi with full length Alisport intercooler. I can resonate with you on going above speed limit on highway. It feels a little scary sometimes without any sway bars.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

We should get them together for a drag race

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

If you don't mind a newb tagging along, I wouldn't mind meeting up and kicking the tires and taking notes.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Three Wheeling

LOL. A joke that not every will get.

Any hooters joint near by? I am game.

Last edited by DailyDrivenTJ; 01-21-2017 at 12:35 AM.