Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof Rack and Winch

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Rack and Winch

I have a couple more projects left to address and would love to get points of view on roof racks and winches.

Finalists are BajaRack, Voyager, Safety Devices, and FrontRunner. Those are sorted in "personal appeal order". Would like some flexibility for mounting stuff (lights, jack, shovel) and using possible for roof tent.

Also need to figure out what winch to buy. Will be mounted to a Tactical Rover bumper I have on order. I'm all for value, bang-for-the-buck, but not short-cutting. I am running HD suspension in front. I do like the idea of being able to operate the winch from the drivers seat in case I decide to go out on a solo trip from time to time.

You all got me there on the decision for front bumper and some other project decisions. Let's take it home :-)

Thanks!

Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM
Mudding

Any thoughts on this?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Smittybuilt has gotten better as the years go by and a 10k winch should do you fine with a fully laden se7 and some stuff on your roof rack and bumper based off the vehicle is close to 7000lbs. I am a big fan of synthetic line and have always used it due to the fact that if it snaps, there isn't bad backlash like with a steel cable but always keep a spare...just my opinion BC no matter what with the elements and stress of use, they do have a lifespan. In the fire service we changed our rescue lines out yearly if they weren't used frequently or bi yearly if they were used. I'm a fan of warn and have been but know guys that have good luck with smittybuilt but I would also jump up to a 12k BC a little overkill never hurt and what's to say you didn't have to help pull a f-250 or something out.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:25 PM
Mudding

Thanks! I ended up pulling the trigger on this one. With $125 in instant savings and rebate, plus the other savings and free shipping, it was a no-brainer.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Nice one. You gonna get you a nice arb kit with a ****** block and the whole lot. That's what I got and keep the extra line, hook, a few pins and cotter keys with some other assorted goodies. If it's something simple, I "acquired" a locomotive tow strap off a bnsf locomotive and that thing is a beast. It's a ratchet strap but hell if it can keep 2 460,000lbs locomotives hooked up and pulling, it can do anything!!!

Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Nice one. You gonna get you a nice arb kit with a ****** block and the whole lot. That's what I got and keep the extra line, hook, a few pins and cotter keys with some other assorted goodies. If it's something simple, I "acquired" a locomotive tow strap off a bnsf locomotive and that thing is a beast. It's a ratchet strap but hell if it can keep 2 460,000lbs locomotives hooked up and pulling, it can do anything!!!
Very cool! Are you talking about one of these? Looks like it has a ****** block included.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 PM
Pro Wrench

Yep. It's great to have especially if you are by yourself. Best money spent. Thant and an onboard air compressor from arb if you got the change for it. I used to be big in keeps and always had the onboard air compressor, not just for the lockers but for airing the tires up after I would deflate them for climbing. That kit has saved my butt a few times when I was off the beaten bath with me an a buddy in my rig. I like it BC a lot of the state parks you can play in won't let you wrap a cable around a tree but a strap is fine in their book

The following users liked this post:
jfintexas (12-31-2016)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

You got the winch part correct. In all my years with Jeeps, Warn is well known to be the only choice. You use it very rarely, but when you need it to work, it's nice to know it will. That is a good starter kit for recovery as well (all that stuff lives in the Jeep).

As for racks, mine came with a Voyager and I LOVE it! I am amazed at the usefulness. I had a really nice rack on my last Jeep and it was incredibly nice to have, and I've got a cheeseball on on my current Jeep that is mainly for gas cans and the roof top tent, but the load the one on the Disco can take is really wonderful and doesn't really affect drivability.

If I were to be in the market for one, I'd probably get the Baja Racks one with the flat back part for easier/lower mounting of the tent on top, but those are my needs.

The following users liked this post:
jfintexas (01-01-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Mudding

Very cool! I have a couple quote requests out for the BajaRack Expedition Edition which I believe is the one you are describing. If the price is right, going to pull the trigger.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Did y'all replace the gutter/drip rail trim before installing the racks? I'm thinking of having my roof from the drip rails up linex'd with the uv protector. No fading or leaks and will be hit by the rack

Quick Reply: Roof Rack and Winch