Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Landrover discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Landrover discovery 2

I have a land rover discovery 2, I think I'm super locked out, in the past I was having problems starting it. I got a cut key and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then it stopped working. I tried using the key in the door to put in the code for the discovery . I got some honks but now the key wont turn at all. So I'm all the way locked out. I can get in the hood/ bonnet but now the battery is dead. I was reading about a sensor by the read door but cant find it. Does anyone know how to get out of super lock mode. Like I said the key doesn't work in the door anymore and I cant access the inside, only the engine

Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Jake, I don't have any advice except to try the original key that you got with your Disco. The copy may be cut subtly wrong. Also, the first thing I do is get copies cut of any new car I buy so if any one key breaks I've got another one ready. That's doubly true for British cars. I learned that lesson the hard way in college when I broke the key to my MG Midget in the ignition.

The shoulders of the key are used as distance spacers, and they wear, so the key can be pushed too far in to unlock the door lock or the ignition lock. Believe it or not, the Disco uses the same freaking key blank design that my 1975 MG used thirty years ago. So, if the key isn't turning in the lock, don't bother trying to jam it even further into the lock... instead, push it in all the way, then pull back slightly while trying to turn the key. With worn British Leyland/Rover keys, sometimes it works. Give it a try, and be extremely patient. Don't break the key off in the ignition like I did in a dark, rainy parking lot in 1988. (On the plus side, I had lots of time to wait for the tow truck, so I borrowed a dental pick from a fellow student who had a sculpture class and fished the broken key tip out of the ignition. When the tow truck dropped me and my car off at home, I ran in and grabbed a copy of the key so I could park the car and lock it for the night.)

Worn ignition key locks are fairly common for older Rovers. I had to replace my ignition lock on my new (to me) Disco a few weeks ago to work around a really worn out lock. A previous owner probably had a huge, heavy, key ring that wore out the lock. It's made from soft brass, even softer than the keys themselves.

Good luck. Work patiently.

Scott