Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Largest Tires with the Least amount of Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Largest Tires with the Least amount of Lift

Just for the sake of conversation. Does anyone have any shots of a Discovery I or II with the least amount of lift possible and the largest wheel and tire combo possible. Possibly a 2" lift with an attack of the air powered tin snipers to enlarge the wheel wells to prevent rubbing on the trail with some 315/75/16's or 35s or 37s.
I've seen plenty of D II's running around town with the OME Lift that you can tuck some 285/75/16's under (33"rubber) the truck without a haircut.
I'm just thinking the lower the center of gravity the better off the Disco is out on the trail.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Since this is just for the sake of conversation I'll give my opinion why this is a bad idea

1. You'll either need more than 2" of lift and/or some serious fender cutting to make the tires fit. I'm thinking you'd pretty much destroy the truck trying to clear tires that large.

2. Suspension travel would be seriously limited. The trails I like to run suspension travel is more important than tire height.

3. The leverage applied by tires that large will certainly destroy the factory spider gears.

Overall, it's just not worth it IMO to try and put that big tire under a Discovery.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM
BIG
Drifting

I agree. There is more to adding the larger tire than just a larger tire. As stated previously the factory gears, then the u joints, and at some point the axles shafts will become the weak link. The whole package is only as strong as your weakest link.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

of course, the way to run the largest tire with the least lift is to trim trim trim and trim some more! yikes.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Three Wheeling

I sure 37" or a proper 35" is out of the question. I just threw them out there for the sake of conversation. 315/75/16 is a 34" tire I've used in the past with good results.
What are we dealing with here? A pair of Dana 30's under all these trucks? I was under the impression that we were at least dealing with something comparable to a Dana 44's. You guys just made all these axles out to snap like twigs with anything larger than 32" tires.
I was looking for some minor trimming of the sheet metal for the maximum articulation with the available 2 inches of lift.
I'm interested in any input on the axles in the D I and D II, I'm just interested in what I should compare these to from the land of the jeep axels.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 AM
BIG
Drifting

It is my understanding from the reading I've done that these axles are comparable to dana 30s in jeep land. But I'm no expert. After a little searching I did find that these axles are 24 spline. Also, I've read that the front drive shaft can become a weak link because of its location in relation to the cats. The heat dries out the lube and the cannot be greased without changing to an aftermarket unit. I'm sure the axles don't "snap like twigs". I've ran 34s on dana 30s in jeeps and really abused them before I had problems. If you're into trimming the sheet metal, they will fit. Just make sure you post some pics. I'd like to see how it looks.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok say it isn't so! The Axles under my DII are the equivalent to a 30 series Dana!! I was going to bed every night under the impression that these were equivalent to about a Dana 44. Granted like Big said I've had some really good times wheeling on 30 series Danas you just have to feel them through the steering wheel and pedals.
Well my low center of gravity and large tire idea seems to be shot dead.
Can someone else pipe in with what these axles are equivalent to as a second opinion to Bigs call of 30 series Danas!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow! I took the old girl out today and really rung her out in the SNOW and she sticks like glue! I couldn't believe it Just driving on snow covered roads with no CDL just the Traction Control the D II stuck better than any of my other 4X4s in the snow! It stuck like GLUE no JOKE and I tossed it around too going straight up in elevation too! /
/

Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JMON
Wow! I took the old girl out today and really rung her out in the SNOW and she sticks like glue! I couldn't believe it Just driving on snow covered roads with no CDL just the Traction Control the D II stuck better than any of my other 4X4s in the snow! It stuck like GLUE no JOKE and I tossed it around too going straight up in elevation too! /
/

just one reason we all own Land Rovers and not Jeeps.