Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last chance before it goes to the shop...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Last chance before it goes to the shop...

So here are my issues. These all started after I pulled my center dash to do some radio work.

1. Right blinker functions properly.
2. Hazards blink very quickly.
3. When the lights are OFF, and the left blinker or hazards are activated, the radio, instrument cluster, climate control, and all lit buttons blink with the turn signal. Also the green trailer in the instrument cluster blinks as well.
4. When the lights are ON, all left signals stay lit all the time. When activating the blinker, nothing blinks like the radio, etc. and the blinker works normally.

I have checked all relays/fuses and all seem fine. I checked grounds in the engine bay by the fuse box, checked grounds on drivers side behind kick panel, checked grounds on behind passengers side kick panel, and checked wires in both sun visors. All looked good. I checked all the bulbs and they seem to be fine. I just don't know what I'm missing...

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Pull some fuses to see if you can isolate where the snafu is entering the system. Pinched / skinned wire (goes with the skinned knuckles)?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What do you mean by some radio work? Were you cutting and splicing wires or what? I'm not really sure why you needed to take the dash apart to get the to the radio. I think it comes out without take anything apart.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220
What do you mean by some radio work? Were you cutting and splicing wires or what? I'm not really sure why you needed to take the dash apart to get the to the radio. I think it comes out without take anything apart.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Banned

I agree you should not have had to take the dash apart to work on the radio. Since you went that far maybe you should take it all back apart and start over and check for pinched or scored wires. Pulling the radio should not be this complicated for you.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
I agree you should not have had to take the dash apart to work on the radio. Since you went that far maybe you should take it all back apart and start over and check for pinched or scored wires. Pulling the radio should not be this complicated for you.
Already pulled it apart twice since then. Couldn't find anything.

I pulled the dash because I was doing a lot of work: radio wiring, hooking up an ipod cable to run to the glove box, and I integrated my UG into my dash. I'm not saying I took apart the entire dash, only the center where the radio, climate control, etc. are. It takes all of five minutes to get it off, and sure makes it easier getting around back there. For simplicity sake I just stated I was working on the radio.

I think I will start pulling fuses as Buzz suggested and see if I can narrow it down to which specific lines are causing the problem. Also, I am going to be looking at my trailing adapter wiring to see if I can find anything wrong there.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

Oh i understand now, weird though for it to act up all of a sudden. I can just say the obvious check wires and fuses maybe the switch failed (doubt it) really sounds like a wire having a nik and making contact.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Oh i understand now, weird though for it to act up all of a sudden. I can just say the obvious check wires and fuses maybe the switch failed (doubt it) really sounds like a wire having a nik and making contact.
Ya I definitely think there is a wire that is grounding which shouldn't be. About a year ago, I discovered the cigarette lighter was not working. Turns out a previous owner had kept blowing the fuse trying to draw too much power from the cigarette lighter, so they put in a larger fuse. When they did that, it started melting the wire that provides power. I ran a new wire from the fuse box under the steering wheel to the cigarette lighter and put in the correct fuse to remedy the issue. When I did that however, I lost power to the rear view mirror and home link. So I spliced the old wire with the new wire, not wanting to run a new wire all the way up there. Now I think I will be regretting that as I think these could be related. I guess it just took a long time? Not too sure, but I'll know more when I start pulling fuses and seeing exactly where the problem is occuring.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

James,
All this stuff is classic bad ground.

What did you do to the Discovery before this happened??
Were you replacing anything?

Did you do trailer wiring?

Major repair??

Looks like a major ground wire is off.
And, when the turn signals go on - they can't get ground so they are grounding thru the radio and dash circuits.

The shop will not figure this out.
This will take schematics and deep Land Rover knowledge by studying the schematics and the symptoms.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Winching

What did you do to the Discovery before this happened??
Only the stuff listed above.

Were you replacing anything?
Nope. Not replacing anything.

Did you do trailer wiring?
No, trailer was wired before I bought the truck.

Major repair??
No major repairs done since I bought it about a year ago.

Looks like a major ground wire is off.
And, when the turn signals go on - they can't get ground so they are grounding thru the radio and dash circuits.

The shop will not figure this out.
This will take schematics and deep Land Rover knowledge by studying the schematics and the symptoms.

Haha exactly what I was afraid of. I will be doing what Buzz suggessted and will be pulling fuses one at a time to try and figure out where the grounding is happening. The wiring on these trucks is pretty horrendous.

Quick Reply: Last chance before it goes to the shop...