Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak around rear wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Looks to me like that "O" behind the wheel hub failed.

It's like a $3 part. Have to get the wheel hub off though. Takes a few hours. Jack up that side so minimal axle fluid leaks out. Or change the fluid if you haven't in awhile.
the hubs were changed not long ago, along time it’s the fluid. So I’ll probably just top it off.

Last edited by Daytoman; 03-11-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman
the hubs were charged not long ago, along time it’s the fluid. So I’ll probably just top it off.
Are you sure the o ring was replaced and the axle side was cleaned? And it's easy to pinch the o ring when the hub is put into the axle housing.
I hope the "top it off" method works for you, but I've seen this too many time not be the case. Good Luck!

Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

If it continues to leak you'll chew thru those pads pretty fast as they'll get glazed by the leaking diff oil.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
Are you sure the o ring was replaced and the axle side was cleaned? And it's easy to pinch the o ring when the hub is put into the axle housing.
I hope the "top it off" method works for you, but I've seen this too many time not be the case. Good Luck!
No I’m not sure the o ring was replaced or axle side was cleaned, the only thing I know is that the hub was replaced on both sides.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Red5
I installed a new rear hub over the summer and it started leaking immediately. My tire looked just like yours. I thought I cut or pinched the o-ring during installation, but it was actually leaking through the bearing seals. They sent a replacement and it has been fine.
how can I tell if it’s the bearing seals or the o ring?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Pull the wheel and look at the bottom side of the hub. The o-ring leaks around the outer edge of the hub where it mounts to the axle. The seals leak "higher up" from behind the flange with the wheel studs. This was mine.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 02:14 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

IDK if I've ever seen a hub grenade like that. Crazy!
Red5, do you remember what brand of hub/bearing this was?

Last edited by OverRover; 02-17-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Red5
Pull the wheel and look at the bottom side of the hub. The o-ring leaks around the outer edge of the hub where it mounts to the axle. The seals leak "higher up" from behind the flange with the wheel studs. This was mine.

OK, When I pulled the hub it was kind of difficult for me to tell where the gear oil is coming from. Not nearly as obvious as yours. It did have a lot of gear oil inside the brake rotor. I cleaned a lot of gear oil out of the inside of the rotor. When I pulled the bottom right side (facing) bolt out that holds the hub, it was covered with gear oil all the way through.
The o ring looked in ok shape but I found a pretty good amount of shavings that were packed into the flange section of the axle housing, right where the o ring seals...that could have broke the seal?? However, it could be the bearing seal??
I already have a new o ring and Ive cleaned up the flange, So for right now, I guess I’ll change the o ring and reinstall. If it continues to leak, I’ll replace the hub? There’s no way to replace the bearing seal, correct? Does that sound like a good course of action? I’m suspecting bearing seal though.
This wasn’t a very hard job and I had it taken apart very quickly. So, if I have to pull the hub off again and replace it, its not a huge deal.
I appreciate any input. This is literally the first time Ive dealt with this.

Leak pattern.

Pic from top side of hub. I had wiped it down some as gear oil was everywhere.

The inside of the rotor had a great deal of gear oil inside. I had wiped it down.

Side view of the bottom of the hub. Fair amount of gear oil accumulated here before I wiped it off.

Bottom right side (facing) bolt was covered with gear oil.

Shavings that I wiped from the axle flange.

Pointing to the spot where the shavings were packed into the flange.

Gear oil was pretty clear.

Shavings on the magnet.

Last edited by Daytoman; 03-12-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Here’s a few more pics.
Pic #1 Looks like it may have been leaking past the bearing seals...would I see packing grease along with it?

Pic #2 Not a ton of gear oil around he flang but there is some and the bottom bolt hole is full of gear oil.

PO is seeing if he can run down the order invoices. He says they were supposedly lifetime warranties.

Pic #1

Pic #2

Old 03-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Any input? I’d like to start getting it back together.

Quick Reply: Leak around rear wheel.