Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak around rear wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

If you can get the part replaced under warranty, do that. Why chance that it didn't fail? It sure looks like it did.. I would think that the gear oil would mix with the packing grease and thin it out quickly after being run a bit.

The following users liked this post:
Daytoman (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wjsj69
If you can get the part replaced under warranty, do that. Why chance that it didn't fail? It sure looks like it did.. I would think that the gear oil would mix with the packing grease and thin it out quickly after being run a bit.
Well, the PO is not being much help. He claims he got them from 1A Auto off Amazon on May 21st 2018 but he cant come up with an order #...really?
1A Auto is happy to help...but they need that order #. So if I replace the hub, I’m gonna have to buy one at this point. It does look like the bearing seal failed...but again, I got no past experience with it.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OverRover
IDK if I've ever seen a hub grenade like that. Crazy!
Red5, do you remember what brand of hub/bearing this was?
Sorry for the late reply. Mine was AllMakes. The vendor made things right quickly though, and the replacement has been working fine.

Daytoman, I think it's a bad bearing seal. Kinda hard to tell but this looks like bearing grease that has leaked out. These areas should be clean on a new hub.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Red5
Sorry for the late reply. Mine was AllMakes. The vendor made things right quickly though, and the replacement has been working fine.

Daytoman, I think it's a bad bearing seal. Kinda hard to tell but this looks like bearing grease that has leaked out. These areas should be clean on a new hub.

Yes sir, I think so too. I took a good close look at it this evening and I can see some of the bearing grease. Also, I spun the hub several times and gear oil came running out. So yeah... I ordered a new one.

Im not able to replace under warranty because PO can’t find his order number. Oh well it wasn’t expensive.

Thanks for the help everyone. Experience gained and I leveled up a little!

Last edited by Daytoman; 03-12-2019 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Knowing this leak was a bad hub/bearing seal it's important to determine what could be a contributing factor.

The 2 that come to mind are the diff fluid was over filled, or the axle breather vent tube is blocked.

If the pressure in the axle/diff housing increased it found the weakest point (the bad seal) to vent.
I would inspect the breather tube and the fitting on the axle really well. I've seen the tube be free but the fitting have the blockage.
To be safe also inspect the other hub. If one failed from a possible over pressure then the other side could be suspect.
Good Luck!

Sorry for the late reply. Mine was AllMakes
Red5, no worries.
It's so hard to know what brand AllMakes is going to send half the time.
Whatever they can source cheap goes in the box, and that " PR2 Premium Range " is such B$!
That's why I avoid them as much as possible (which is about 99%). Mini rant... over.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by OverRover
Knowing this leak was a bad hub/bearing seal it's important to determine what could be a contributing factor.

The 2 that come to mind are the diff fluid was over filled, or the axle breather vent tube is blocked.

If the pressure in the axle/diff housing increased it found the weakest point (the bad seal) to vent.
I would inspect the breather tube and the fitting on the axle really well. I've seen the tube be free but the fitting have the blockage.
To be safe also inspect the other hub. If one failed from a possible over pressure then the other side could be suspect.
Good Luck!
Thank you. Overfilled? How does that happen? Filling on an unlevel surface?

How do I gauge the proper level for the gear oil? I assumed it would take a little less than 2qrts and you fill on a level surface until it runs out of the fill hole?

I believe you get the breather tube out by depressing that red ring in the fitting? Is that correct? So beyond that how do I clean out the fitting itself? Is it removable?

Last edited by Daytoman; 03-13-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman

Thank you. Overfilled? How does that happen? Filling on an unlevel surface?

How do I gauge the proper level for the gear oil? I assumed it would take a little less than 2qrts and you fill on a level surface until it runs out of the fill hole?

I believe you get the breather tube out by depressing that red ring in the fitting? Is that correct? So beyond that how do I clean out the fitting itself? Is it removable?
Your bearing failed due to internal (manufacturing) issues, remember all the metal filings? The filings took out the seal and etc and created the mess. Yes, you fill your gear oil until it comes out the fill hole. You should be able to blow some air through the vent line, but I doubt that has anything to do with the bearing failure. Just a bad part.

Daytoman (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Your bearing failed due to internal (manufacturing) issues, remember all the metal filings? The filings took out the seal and etc and created the mess. Yes, you fill your gear oil until it comes out the fill hole. You should be able to blow some air through the vent line, but I doubt that has anything to do with the bearing failure. Just a bad part.
Thanks! Makes sense. When I pulled the old O-ring off, those shavings seemed to boogger up that O-ring pretty good. It wasn’t cut, torn or nicked but it was really roughed up. But I’m still not sure it was leaking from the O-ring at all. I’m going to make sure I have magnetic plug in there when I change the gear oil. If not I’ll pick one up, just for good measure.

85/140 weight gear oil should be good correct?

Also, just because I’m trying to get as much knowledge as I can on these things, I’m going to go ahead and pull out that vent tube and check it to make sure it’s clear. Might as well since I’m underneath there anyway.

Hubs showed up today. I’ll replace it and now I’ll have an extra on hand.

Just curious has anybody had any issues with the sensors that come with these hubs? Should I reuse the current sensor?

Last edited by Daytoman; 03-13-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I use 85/140 in both F & R ends and the transfer case. If you live where its - degrees in the winter often, I probably wouldn't go with the 85/140. I can feel a slight drag in my running gear the first few hundred yards in my rig when it's freezing out in the mornings.

Daytoman (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
I use 85/140 in both F & R ends and the transfer case. If you live where its - degrees in the winter often, I probably wouldn't go with the 85/140. I can feel a slight drag in my running gear the first few hundred yards in my rig when it's freezing out in the mornings.
Severe or extended cold weather is NOT a concern for us But severe and extended heat is.

Quick Reply: Leak around rear wheel.