Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak in Front of transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak in Front of transfer case

For a brief history, last year during christmas break I pulled the inspection plate on my transfer box and resealed it. i still had a leak, so I put some white sheppard in her and the leak stopped. Fast forward to today, I got home and I smelled burning grease. I looked under the truck and from what I can tell the transfer box is leaking where the shaft output is. I am going to get it on a lift this weekend hopefully. is this going to be a really hard fix? Should I try more white sheppard and heavier gear oil? This is one I actually wanted to take the the mechanic, but my local guy moved out of the country.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

85W140 is fine to run, White Shepherd is fine also, it does have limits, works by making rubber swell. Here's a pix of an o-ring after a day or so in the White Shepherd.

Attached Thumbnails Leak in Front of transfer case-swollen_o-ring.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking about the front output shaft, it's pretty easy, remove driveshaft, remove nut on companion flange, pull flange off, replace seal and reverse the process, if you have a groove in the companion flange you can not install the seal as deep as it was originally (not by much, maybe 1/8") this will give the seal a non grooved surface to ride on.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

is it comming from in between the transfer case and transmission? or at the front prop shaft. Those are two entirely different fixes. If the prop shaft then an easy fix. if in between then you may be looking at the seal for the output shaft from the transmission. that is difficult as you will need to drop the transfer case to get to that. let us know what you find

Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, the white shepherd probably worked as long as it will then for that seal. Is this one that I can buy a new seal, or will I need to make one out of RTV? If I am reading Bkreutz's post correctly, it's something I will order. So in the long run, this will not be any more difficult that the inspection plate?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Winching

If it's leaking where the driveshaft bolts to the transfer, this is the seal you need Output Shaft Oil Seal For Land Rovers - Part # FTC4939 If it's somewhere else, it's more involved, as jeffh said

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
If it's leaking where the driveshaft bolts to the transfer, this is the seal you need Output Shaft Oil Seal For Land Rovers - Part # FTC4939 If it's somewhere else, it's more involved, as jeffh said
We also see the little felt peace of fabric fail all the time to. IT is #2 in the pic

Attached Thumbnails Leak in Front of transfer case-wash-copy.jpg  
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Winching

I never liked the idea of a felt seal, I put Ultra Black on the splines when I put the companion flange back on. (the splines on the flange, not the splines on the shaft, that would force the UB back into the transfer) I think the guy that thought up the felt seal was the same guy who designed the rear main seal on a B16 Volvo engine (felt as well, never sealed anything, just slowed the leak down)

Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkreutz
I never liked the idea of a felt seal, I put Ultra Black on the splines when I put the companion flange back on. (the splines on the flange, not the splines on the shaft, that would force the UB back into the transfer) I think the guy that thought up the felt seal was the same guy who designed the rear main seal on a B16 Volvo engine (felt as well, never sealed anything, just slowed the leak down)
How long have you had it sealed up with the UB?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone made a copy of the LRT-51-003 wrench? The real deal is almost $300 I think. The drawing looks like the tool ought to be about $30 instead and doesn't look that hard to fabricate.

Quick Reply: Leak in Front of transfer case