Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leakey rear main seal, or is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Leakey rear main seal, or is it?

Hi all,

I am picking apart the little irritations on my 2000 Disco II and my rear main seal is the current focus.

Basically, when I replaced the engine, an 18 wheeler mechanic helped me and seated the rear main seal with a quart paint can and a mallet. I didn't like it then, and I like it less now because there is a small drip that seems to be coming from the rear of the engine. I see it on the rear bolts of the oil pan and at the bell housing inspection hole. It is not alot of oil, but I'd rather have zero on the driveway and that is the only spot leaking.

The mechanic told me that it could be the rear of the oil pan (I used a new gasket, but I did not silicon it... he says I should get a new gasket and use red silicon; this may be true or it may be an avoidance the obvious indictment of his questionable rear main seal installation). Any thought on this? Also, are there any additives that are safe to use to seal a small leak. I really don't want to pull the engine EVER AGAIN, at least, not until I put my sweet OM617 diesel in.

Best,

Charlie V

Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Right Stuff is the gasket maker of choice. As for the leak, why not try some White Shepheard (now Blue Devil) rear main seal treatment? Works for others.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

I agree with Buzz, if that leak is not too bad their Rear Main Sealer can do wonders, if it doesn't, you are not out much.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My rear main seal was leaking and coming out of the exact spots you described. It was creating a puddle in my driveway. As per the advice of the guys here I tried the white shepherd/blue devil rear main seal fix and it worked exactly as advertised. Not even a drop on my new garage floor. Some have mentioned the negatives to swelling seals in the engine, but when the only other option is pulling the engine and replacing, that $12 fix sure seems to outweigh any potential downside.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandrew
$12 fix sure seems to outweigh any potential downside.
Worked for me too. Hope it lasts awhile. Glad to see the price came down some. It's been a few months now. I just had a small leak.I t is still holding.
The seal replacement needs to be done very carefully and properly. I am a believer in using a proper tool for that from now on. A soup can just doesn't work (at least not for me)

Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Camel Trophy

I used Barr's and it worked in the space of day. I am AMAZED. So much easier than pulling the engine.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I used Barr's and it worked in the space of day. I am AMAZED. So much easier than pulling the engine.
Indeed!

Old 09-20-2014, 10:36 AM
Camel Trophy

Just ran across my old thread. More than a year later and still no leak.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I have the same exact leak, gf recently noticed the spot on her driveway.

Drips from the oil pan drain bolt and on the inspection cover bolts as well as the crossmember bar.

I did find several of the pan gasket bolts needed tightening, on the front of the pan and the passenger side... no more than a quarter turn of the wrench. still leaks.

Just before my extended warrantee ended, around 85k, the dealer "fixed" what they said was a rear main seal leak... can that leak again? Or did they just charge the insurance company and add a can of blue devil?

Also I've read about the crucifix seals... but have not looked inside for two leaks rather than one.

I'm considering the can of blue devil. does that also work if it is the crucifix seals?

Last edited by Dave03S; 09-20-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I have the same exact leak, gf recently noticed the spot on her driveway.

Drips from the oil pan drain bolt and on the inspection cover bolts as well as the crossmember bar.

I did find several of the pan gasket bolts needed tightening, on the front of the pan and the passenger side... no more than a quarter turn of the wrench. still leaks.

Just before my extended warrantee ended, around 85k the dealer "fixed" what they said was a rear main seal leak... can they leak again? or did they just charge the insurance company and add a can of blue devil?

Also I've read about the crucifix seals... but have not looked inside for two leaks rather than one.

I'm considering the can of blue devil. does that also work if it is the crucifix seals?
Dave,

Tony knowledge the only way to replace the rear main seal is to remove the engine. I'm not aware of a fix, unless it be from a can/bottle. They can leak again but mine lasted over 100k miles.

Not sure about the crucifix you mentioned.

Best,

Charlie V

Quick Reply: Leakey rear main seal, or is it?