Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking transfer box, need name or part number

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking transfer box, need name or part number

My transfer box was leaking, after cleaning it throughly and refieling it with synthetic 75-140 oil, I found now where it is leaking from. I am not able to find a part number or name of this location. It is not leaking from the seal close to the bolts. It is leaking from the seal close to the housing, top of the arrow in pictures. I didn't even know that there was a seal , see picture. I will appreciate any help
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails leaking transfer box, need name or part number-1.jpg   leaking transfer box, need name or part number-2.jpg  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

That would be the rear cover plate. Page from RAVE shop manual attached on re-seal method, no preformed gasket used. Seems if RTV works for the inspecton plate it should work here. RAVE shop manual also has exploded diagrams of the TC.

With the RAVE on your hard drive, you can get answers quickly and without waiting.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D2 rear TC cover plate.pdf (413.3 KB, 139 views)
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Thank you for quick reply, I went through the manual multiple times and also searched online, the leak is not from the rear cover plate. On my car they seem to have used RTV and the rear cover plate and the seal in clean. There is another seal flush with the housing around 0.5 inches away from the cover plate, which is leaking. I have marked both areas in the picture below.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails leaking transfer box, need name or part number-4.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If it is an actual seal and not a crack in the case, consider using a bottle of White Shepherd Oil Stop Leak, works great on our t/case seals. I put some in mine over a year ago and it hasn't leaked since.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If it is an actual seal and not a crack in the case, consider using a bottle of White Shepherd Oil Stop Leak, works great on our t/case seals. I put some in mine over a year ago and it hasn't leaked since.
It looks like a seal, I just don't know why it is not described any where. I used a degreaser and power washed it, which did not remove much, than I took your advise and used gunk gel and power washed it again and finally cleaned it manually and I am glad I did, because the cover plate, which I thought was leaking is not leaking.
I also took your advise and put 1/3 of white shephered in there, do you thing that I should add another half bottle?
I will call LR to see if they can point me to any part number for possible gasket.
Thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's exploded diagram, perhaps fax to parts man, item you want would be between part #6 and the case. But if RTV works for the other areas (rear cover, bottom inspection plate), then why not here?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
output.pdf066.pdf (759.4 KB, 174 views)