Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 595 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Leaks!

Left the rover out in the rain last night. When I drove it this morning and came to a stop at the light, water came rushing down the side pillars down the seat belt! I started poking around roof. Looks like multiple layers of caulk or flex seal up here (I am removing). Questions:
  1. Where might the water be coming from - rain gutters or moon roof?
  2. What if anything is supposed to be on the gutters? Or is it supposed to be metal?

Nasty gutters

Cleaning with a flathead and a dremel.

What should this corner look like?

Old 10-19-2019, 09:11 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

there's a substantial number of threads on here regarding leaks of this type. sunroofs are most likely. read the threads, clean everything, reinstall everything, and hope for the best.

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

If you have an 03 or 04 the roof rack can be a problem too

Old 10-19-2019, 11:34 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Water leaking in at the point in your last pic would go down the A pillar and show up above the windshield. Leaking at the B pillar rear of the front door would most probably be either sunroof or roof rail gaskets.

Looks like you have the original windshield and rubber trim.

Most A pillar leaks occur because of a bad aftermarket windshield installation or a failure in the upper corner windshield seal. Given the photo your issue could be due to decay.

A leak down the seat belt strap would be further back though and not from those windshield seals.

Roof rail seal gaskets or sunroofs,...

How bad is the headliner?

If you need a new headliner, kill two stones with one bird and recover the headliner when you fix the leaks.

Either way, time to clean that up.

Last edited by Dave03S; 10-19-2019 at 11:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dave03S:
cvhyatt (10-20-2019), SuzSS (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 06:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks! The headliner is in decent shape but you can tell there have been leaks. Sun roofs are full of aftermarket sealant. I will clean those up and clean the drains. Not sure I am ready to tackle the headliner yet.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

I live in very rainy western Washington. Both of my sunroofs leak and the front goes down the b pillar seatbelt just like yours, the wife was not impressed when we found that out. I’m not prepared to deal with it right now (or perhaps ever) so I did a bit of a “nuclear option” and covered both sunroofs with a matte black sheet of vinyl. Both leaks stopped immediately and I don’t miss the sunroofs. I figure if I ever have the time to fix it later I can remove the vinyl.

Old 10-20-2019, 01:30 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have an 03 and have been chasing down various leaks.

Hard to find leaks that showed up as some water inside of the dome lights mostly went away by sealing the sunroofs.

Leak down the inside of the windscreen passenger side was due to a poorly installed replacement windscreen. I had it replaced with a heated one and done at a shop with lots of D2 experience to help with the sealant job. Leak gone. This one got some water into the BCU and showed up as flashing Odometer. Had to get the ECU and BCU re-synced to sort that out. Let the leak go for too long.

Other random water leaks seam to be coming from the alpine and rear windows. The existing sealant was pulling up on the exterior and bad enough you could rub it off easily with a finger. Re-sealed and those leaks seem sorted.

Now last week in very heavy rain at 70mph I noticed a bit of water front passenger floor. Seems to be coming directly from the blower fan. Not sure about this one. I have an intact lower windshield trim piece. My original one was cracked as found out in deep water crossing when it help to fill the air box with water.

I have not checked the stock roof rack bars. They where taken off and re-installed a couple of years ago and was told a bit of sealant added. I look at them as water ingress points.

I had my headliner re-done a couple years ago and trying to keep water out of it.

Last edited by Sean Maginness; 10-20-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Gutter Project

As is was cleaning the gutters the plastic trim fell apart. So now it is coming out. Cleaning up the gutters and removing the glue. Will paint with black flex seal and see how that works.

Trim removed

Cleaning the gutters

Old 10-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You gutters look nasty ;-)

On the same subject: I redid the gutters and the front railing drips about 1.5 years ago. The truck didn't leak until recently. Yesterday, the passenger side A-pillar got soaking wet in the storm. I took the drip part off the and inspected everything--no sign of any hole. What gives? The car has gone through many downpours without any problems as long as the car did not move. It appears any time I am facing rain on the highway, I get a water. Does anyone have a pic of what the gutter/front railing should look like? Here is how mine looks when the A-pillar plastic cover and the front drip are removed:

Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Check your windshield and roof rack seals, it took me year to track mine down but a bead of silicone alone the windshield seal fixed it up.