Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
Theres something wrong with your truck if its burning bulbs that quickly. Chances are LEDs wont last much longer either
So thoughts on what could be burning them out so quickly? I'm not stuck on swapping out for LED's, just want something that lasts longer than 6 months...

Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,290 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Any 03-04 D2 had issues when they were new with the H7 bulbs they originally came with. Both my 03’s which I had the day they rolled off the showroom had bulb issues. Not sure if it had a TSB for it, but LR eventually switched to H7 LL bulbs. I probably went thru 10 bulbs between my two 03 D2’s and the dealership just kept replacing them. When they started using the LL bulbs I never had another problem on either 03 D2.

I’ve replaced so many Sylvania Silverstar bulbs on Jeeps, Hummers, Fords, and Land Rovers it’s not even funny. Those bulbs are known for not having a very long life. I’ve had good results with Phillips, PIAA, and IPF bulbs. Sylvania Silverstar/Silverstar Ultra’s just don’t last long.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 AM
TReK
Received 482 Likes on 405 Posts

Try handling them with a clean cloth.
Residue from disposable gloves can also stick to the bulb's glass, causing hot spots, and shorten their life, just like oil from your skin.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

With a couple of previous cars I've had, I used to use the Silverstars. They are not known for their longevity. Best I got out of them was about a year before replacing the pair. The usual was closer to 6 months.

The headlight housings are reflector-type (for all years, including your '04). You'll create glare for on-coming vehicles using an HID or LED retrofit. I recommend Philips Vision Plus bulbs. Build quality is far better to Sylvania. Puts out more light, and are uncoated (which is one of the reasons for the Silverstar's short life). I've had a pair in my 2000 D2 last for more than two years.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 AM
TReK

There is no glare with a retrofit, that is the point of doing it.
It is correct that using an HID bulb, in a non HID housing, scatters the beam and will cause poor visibility to the driver, and oncoming traffic.
A retrofit is putting an HID bulb that is in an HID projector housing, into your current housing, with some modification.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:07 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
There is no glare with a retrofit, that is the point of doing it.
It is correct that using an HID bulb, in a non HID housing, scatters the beam and will cause poor visibility to the driver, and oncoming traffic.
A retrofit is putting an HID bulb that is in an HID projector housing, into your current housing, with some modification.
When doing a true retrofit where you use a proper projector meant for an HID bulb, then you are correct that there wouldn't/shouldn't be any glare. However, the term "retrofit" has been used quite loosely when people talk about HID/LED conversions, where for most it meant replacing the original halogen bulb with an HID/LED bulb in a halogen housing and nothing else.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Gripen
When doing a true retrofit where you use a proper projector meant for an HID bulb, then you are correct that there wouldn't/shouldn't be any glare. However, the term "retrofit" has been used quite loosely when people talk about HID/LED conversions, where for most it meant replacing the original halogen bulb with an HID/LED bulb in a halogen housing and nothing else.
Well, they are incorrect, and that's how bad information spreads.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:39 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the input guys! I'm going with a Philips Vision Plus bulb for the moment but going to take a look at the outfit mentioned in the LED conversion link. The company, The Retrofit Source, is located in Atlanta where I live. Going to go down and take a look at their show room and have a conversation with them. I'd love to replace all of the bulbs in my headlamp with LED's and do a proper retrofit with the right projector but don't know the cost effectiveness of it all. Might be a fun do it yourself project but to do it right it looks like it would run close to $400 per headlamp for the four bulbs, the modifications and wiring it up properly. And that's doing the work myself.

If I do go that route I'll be sure to post a thread detailing what I do.

In the meantime thanks for all of the non Sylvania bulb recommendations. They sell that crap everywhere!

Old 07-30-2020, 11:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisw7562
Thanks for the input guys! I'm going with a Philips Vision Plus bulb for the moment but going to take a look at the outfit mentioned in the LED conversion link. The company, The Retrofit Source, is located in Atlanta where I live. Going to go down and take a look at their show room and have a conversation with them. I'd love to replace all of the bulbs in my headlamp with LED's and do a proper retrofit with the right projector but don't know the cost effectiveness of it all. Might be a fun do it yourself project but to do it right it looks like it would run close to $400 per headlamp for the four bulbs, the modifications and wiring it up properly. And that's doing the work myself.

If I do go that route I'll be sure to post a thread detailing what I do.

In the meantime thanks for all of the non Sylvania bulb recommendations. They sell that crap everywhere!
Well, what’s the verdict? Has anyone replaced the factory HID Xenons with LEDs yet?

Old 07-30-2020, 11:24 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 793 Likes on 525 Posts

Factory D2s don't come with HIDs. Best case is to do a HID or LED projector retrofit into the 03/04 headlight housings.

Quick Reply: LED Headlights