Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Front Axle Seal Leaking Again.???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Front Axle Seal Leaking Again.???

I recently purchased a 2003 Land Rover Discovery that was in a front left wheel and fender accident, the left wheel was turned to the right and off alignment. The alignment shop found no problems and was able to set the geometry and align the front end and afterward the truck drove great, however I notice a front axle leak, therefore, to be safe, I replaced the front wheel bearing and a new OEM seal, but prior to removing the seal, I noticed the original seal was badly damaged therefore I felt the new seal would correct the problem, however the leak did not stop, therefore I purchased another seal and pulled the axle again since I thought that I must have damaged the new seal on installation and made sure the new seal was installed correctly, however the leak is still present and I can’t understand what is the causing the leak.

Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 AM
Overlanding

This is the original picture prior to the repair.FrontLeftSide.jpg?t=1368953138

Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't say I have ever heard of the axle seal housing being damaged, if that is the case, you will most likely have to replace the axle tube assembly. You mentioned you had to replace a bearing, did you replace the hub assembly?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Other than replacing more parts, you might consider (1) cleaning the vent line and attachment point - if clogged this makes oil fumes in the axle pressurize sligtly and leak out seals; or (2) a whole axle from the boneyard. At boneyards near me $150 disk-to-disk.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 AM
Overlanding

Mike, I did replaced the hub assembly with a new ABS sensor.

Savannah, I did verify that the breather tube is not plugged by removing it from the axle blew through it. I hope that I will not be forced to replace the entire axle to solve it.

I have ordered a used Axle tube and will be reinstalling it with a new seal.
I do hope that this solves the problem, however I will advise you of the outcome in a week or so.

Thanks to both of you for your inputs..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So, I am confused, did you replace the hub, was it the cause of the leak, or did you check and replace the axle tube press in seal?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Overlanding

I replace the hub due to preventative measures, however I did not notice the axle seal leak until after replacing the hub, therefore I pulled the axle and replaced the seal twice since and it is leaking worse now than originally noticed.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Overlanding

Mike, I read this on another forum last night and your feedback is appreciated...

Front Axle Seal Installation Instructions….

Liberally coat the internal bearing surface of the seal and also the axle withWheel Bearing Grease.Fill the spring area with a good dollop of grease as well. Make sure you drive the seal square. Need to gently tap into place right on the outer rim. Don't hit the rubber part. When you insert the seal make sure you don't drive it completely home...leave a couple of mm. Also if you have a small inspection mirror, check the spring is in place before you refit the axle. A large socket with about 0.5mm clearance is ideal as a drive tool.

When you offer the axle up to slide it through be very careful you do not nick the seal. When you push the axle fully "home" be extra careful or you could dislodge the inner spring, that's why a generous helping of grease on the axle surface in contact with the seal is important.

Once the road wheel is installed, turn it a few times backwards and forwards by hand to seat the seal properly.